One Sentence

"One person in your life, one decision, one sentence has the power to change you forever."
    "One sentence?"
"Yeah, that's right. One single sentence like 'I love you...'"

*******

Fitz started at the ceiling, deep in thought. He was thinking about all the time him and Jemma had spent together, and all the things they had gone through together. In his mind, the image of him and Jemma underwater began to form, and he realized how much that one moment changed their lives. After all, that was that first time he admitted that he loved her. So much changed after that, some good, some bad.

"...Or, 'We're having a baby..."'

*******

Then, he thought back to something that was more recent than that. Jemma had taken the day off, but Fitz had thought nothing of it. He just figured she wanted a break, but when he came home to the apartment, he soon knew that there was a much more important reason.
  "We're having a baby!" she had squealed, grabbing his hands. At first, Fitz had just been stunned, unable to process what she said. Then his expression had turned to one of pure joy, and he pulled her into a hug. So much had changed after that, too, but everything was going fine so far.

******

"...or, uh, 'She's gone.'"

******

Fitz was anxiously waiting news from the doctor. Was she going to be alright? Was the baby going to be alright? He had barely slept the past few days, kept awake by thinking about everything that could possibly go wrong. Finally, the door to the hospital room opened, and Fitz sat up. The doctor came out, holding a small bundle, and Fitz stood. The doctor handed him the bundle, and Fitz stared at the small face peering out at him.
  "She looks so much like Jemma," he said, staring into the brown eyes. He looked up, and realized that he hadn't heard anything about how Jemma was doing.
  "Where is she? Is she alright?" he asked the doctor, who had a sad, pitying expression on his face.
"I'm sorry," he said, and Fitz's heart sunk. "She's gone."
    Tears began to stream down his face as he sank back down into a chair, clutching their baby.
"No," he sobbed. "No. Jemma, I need you. I can't do this without you."
His life changed the most after this, by far. Nothing would ever be the same