Chapter Twelve: Intergation

Is that what I've become, a lier?  Is this what the rest of my life will be like, secrets and danger?  What is the meaning of throwing me under the bus if I'm the driver?  When will all of this file down to right and wrong, I could use some black and white right now.

Less white than black at the moment, considering there was a very strong light at the head of the room, reflecting around every white wall, making it pravticly blinding, good thing the man in black was wearing sun glasses, I'm just sorry I'm not.

I came here by choise, to tell someone who can help as much as I can about Xander.  But thinking about him, sitting up there in my attic all alone, not knowing I am coming here, not knowing my plan was to turn him in.  I came here by choise, but was it the right choice?

Now I'm faced with another, if I can't turn back, can I find a way to make myself seeem unimportant?  Is there a way to make myself invisible in the eyes of the government?  If I could put their attention on omeone else, could I keep Xander hidden?  Do I want to keep Xander hidden?

My thoughts reeled while I was told to take a seat at a small metal table, unable to read minds at the moment felt good, but also scaired me.  What will I choosem and will it be the right choice?

"What year are you in school?"  The man in black asked, a slight accent curling his words, but I couldnt make out which one.

"I'm a junior, sir."  I added sir to make me sound more like an adult, but both him and I knew that wouldnt work.

"And do you consider you classes easy?"  I could tell he was thinking about sitting, but just leaned on the back of the chair across from me instead.  Places like the jail cells or school, or a room like this have a type of machine that keeps my thoughts to myself and his thoughts to him, no mind reading the interagator.

"For the most part, yeah.  I'm a fairly good student, ask any of my teachers."  A little bit on the smart ass side, but I'll just make up for it later I guess.

"What about your English teacher, how do you do in that class?" He was getting to the point, I was hoping I could avoid the question by acting like a preppy girl.  Maybe he would fall for my faux stupidity, maybe not.

"Alright I guess, my spelling isn't heavely but it is a work in progress." 

"Are there any major distractions in that class?  Like anyone out of the ordinary or strange?"  His glasses were falling down his nose, and the polite action of looking someone in the eyes when they talk to you was turning into torture.

"Not really, unless you count Jake.  He's pretty extraordinary!"  I smiled, my clever self suprising me even now, but he would have it.  He knew what I was doing, and now he'll make me pay for it.

"So there's no one missing, or different?  A human prehaps?"  He leaned over the chair a little more, further exposing his brilliant blue eyes and pulling me in.

I know what's happening, he's using his Force.  The room stops me from using mine, and the ones at the school stop all Forces within them, but the ogvernment must have others powerful anough to only stop a few Forces under them.  The man in black is using his Force to get the answers he wants out of me, and I have little to no controll over it.

The only thing I know how to do to avoid spilling something I don't want to against this kind of Force is telling the complete truth.  So if I can avoide the question by stating common knowledge I might be able to fool him again.  But this time it will be much harder and much more dangerous, I don't know Xander enough to say I trust him completly, but I want to know enough about him to believe he's bad before I turn him in.  I never should have come here.

"Humans can't get through the wall, everyone knows that."  My words were pulled from my mouth, thick and heavy, stiff with control and truth.

"Let's say one did, would you know where they are?"  He was pulling thought from my mind the way I pull them from people, his Force stronger with his age and more dangerous with him occupation.  He was daring me to spill, and I easily could.  But life isn't easy, I could manage if I really tried.

"They would be hiding."  I answered slowly, carefully choosing my words.

"Where is he hiding?"  The man in black yelled.

I jumped back, both the tone of his voice and the fact that he said HE scaring me past my limit of fright.  I Will Not Let Him Know.

"Who's he?"  I slured, lucky to have spoken at all.

"The one who got through the wall, where is he?"  His voice was raising, I'm sure he was angry with me, but my ability to read mind allows me to know how the mind works even when I cant read them.  If he can play with me, I can play with him.  Force or no Force, I will be strong.

"I don't know who got through the wall."  I told quickly, but those were not my words.  I had not chosen to say that, meaning that he had pulled those words from me when I decided I would try to use my mind knowledge to fool him.  That was the truth, I dont know if Xander is the one who got through the wall.

The man in black sighed and stood up straght again, the chair resting back into its unused position when his weight was lifted from it.  He turned to face the door, his hand on the handle his thoughts on his failure.  It was all I could do not to break down, but I could have smiled.

I will not make the mistake of coming here again, I dont have to know who I am to know who the bad guys are.