IX.

If there was one thing people didn't expect from Marck, it was his crippling shyness. He never liked talking to people. He never liked being in big rooms. He didn't even like parties. Maybe that's why he found him self gravitating to Kim. She was always the charming, witty type. Whenever they went out together, she did enough talking for the both of them. And maybe that's also one thing he loved about Jia. Jia was always accommodating  to everyone. Nice and smart enough to hold her own in conversations without needing Marck. You could say they were his anchors. He would follow them like a puppy on a leash.

But now he had no Kim. And Jia was still in Singapore. So here he was, left to brave the crowds of Rex's engagement party. Rex, of course, was doing what he was best at. Talking. While his fiancee, Ciacia, smiles adoringly at him and holds his hand comfortably in hers while he does so. Marck swears he wants to vomit. Yeah, yeah, he was a bit bitter without Jia. Marck sips at his champagne and relishes the sour taste as it burns his throat.

"What the hell am I gonna do now?" He whispers silently to himself. From the corner of his eye, he spots the chocolate fountain. It's almost almost 4 feet tall and it's surrounded by strawberries, marshmallows, and graham crackers to dip it in. Marck unknowingly smiles. He used to know a certain someone who would've loved that chocolate fountain. She would've gone right up to it, swiped her finger under the chocolate waterfall, and licked it right off of her fingers. "Masisira diet mo 'dyan." He'd say. And she'd give him a cheeky smile and a wink and say "No regrets."

He snaps out of his thoughts when he hears the song playing ahead. All These Years by Camila Cabello. He almost cringes. Not the best song to play at an engagement party really. Not the best song to play when he's thinking of Kianna. He glances at the chocolate fountain again. A little chocolate never hurt a healing heart, right? He puts his glass of champagne down on a table and walks to the table before he's stopped by Ciacia. "Hey Marck." She says soothingly. Marck had always liked Ciacia in an older sister type of way. She was caring and funny and kept Rex on his feet. "Hi Ate Cia." He says with a smile "Congrats po pala." Ciacia smiles "Thank you. How have you been pala? Kumusta na kayo ni Jia?"

"Okay naman po kami. Sabi niya sorry daw kasi wala siya dito. Nasa Singapre po kasi siya."

Before Ciacia can say anything else, Rex is already beside her with an arm around her shoulder "Babe," he says "nandito na pala parents mo. Hinanap ka nila." Ciacia nods before smiling and giving Marck's shoulder a squeeze and excusing herself. Marck looks back at the fountain but Rex blocks his view. Deliberately. "Tara nga, Marck. Masarap yung pagkain sa buffet." He says as he leads Marck to the buffet. Marck thinks Rex is acting...strange. Like he wants him to avoid the chocolate fountain. "Okay lang." Marck says as he pulls away from Rex's grasp "Busog pa naman ako." He tries to go back to the fountain but Rex takes him by the shoulders and turns him around "Rex, ano ba.." Rex is dragging him to the tables "Eh nandun kasi sina Ysay. Mag hi ka muna." Marck squints his eyes. Okay now Rex was acting reaaally weird. "Gago ka, Rex." He says as he finally scoots away from him "Tatay lang ang peg? Pumunta lang naman ako sa chocolate fountain oh." Marck says as he points to the fountain behind Marck. "Marck, huwag!" He says in an overdramatic, soap-opera way. Throwing himself onto Marck and gripping his shoulders "Huwag na huwag kang pumunta doon. Naintindihan?" He shakes Marck at every word. Marck thinks he's sounding like Coach O.

"Bakit ba kasi?" Marck asks. Rex is seriously getting on his nerves. Rex still blocks his view of the fountain. "May lason yung chocolate." He says with his arms across his chest. Marck rolls his eyes at Rex. "Rex!" Ciacia calls. Marck smirks. It's the perfect opportunity to get away from Rex. Rex turns to him "Diyan ka lang ah." Rex says, pointing to the buffet before leaving "Yes, babe!" He hears him call. With Rex finally gone, Marck finally makes his way to the chocolate fountain. What could be there that Rex doesn't want him to see anyway? Is it because he's getting fat? Is that it? He's getting fat so Rex doesn't want him to eat anymore chocolate? His inner monologue and walk to the fountain are abruptly cut short when he sees someone there. Someone..familiar. The woman is in a tight fitting, green gown with her hair in a loose bun. There's something so familiar about. Her back, her hair, her arms. Marck's mind is whirling trying to think of where he's seen her when she does something that makes his breathing stop.