VIII.

December 20, 2017

"So you're coming over tonight, right?" Rex says as he pops another grape into his mouth. Marck nods "Siyempre naman. Grabe pare, ah. Hindi ko talaga inexpect."

Rex chuckles. "Yeah. Yeah. I know. Ako? Ma engaged?" He throws both hands above his head in mock shock "Naunahan mo pa ako." Marck sits down on the bar stool by the counter. "Ang bagal mo kasi." Rex says to him.

"Anong bagal? Jia and I aren't even dating yet."

"Tsk. Alam mong yung mga babae. Hindi talaga sila ma konteto sa isang relationship hanggang maging official na."

"You would know." Marck murmurs. Rex hears him and slaps his name. Marck flinches "Seryoso ako ulol." Marck rolls his eyes and groans. He's in for another sermon.

"How long do you plan to keep Jia waiting, huh?"

"She's the one who said she wants to take it slow!"

Rex groans "Brooo. Girls are always like that. Always. It's bait. They say shit like that to give you clues."

Marck is confused. "Huh?" he asks. "You know, they say 'Babe willing to wait ako'," Rex says, imitating a girl's voice "but what they really mean is 'Just ask me to be your girlfriend already."

Marck is even more confused. He shakes his head "Eh, anong klaseng pag-iisip ba 'yan?" Rex nods "I know, bro. I know. Girls are confusing as hell." he says with an over-exaggerated sigh. Of course Rex would know about girls. God knows how many he's dated. "Anyways," Rex says "enough of the romance talk. I'll get enough of that tonight." 

They're both currently in Rex and Therese's apartment getting ready for Rex's engagement party. Yes, Rex Intal, Mr. Fuckboy himself, managed to get engaged. The engagement itself was beautiful and Marck would never admit but he shed a tear or two. All of a sudden, Rex's expression darkens as if he remembered something serious. "Oh, anyare sa mukha mo?" Marck asks as he sips at his glass of wine. "Uhmmm. May sasabihin sana ako sa'yo pare." Marck lets out a nervous laugh "Uy 'wag mong sabihin mahal mo ako ah? Hindi na 'yon pwede." Rex rolls his eyes "Seryoso kasi ako, gago." Marck puts up both hands in defeat "Eto talaga, 'di ma biro. Oh ano 'yan?" He asks "She's gonna be there." Rex says. Marck nearly chokes on his drink. 

Of course he doesn't need to ask who she is. There will only ever be one person who Rex refers to as she. "Oh." He says simply "Oh?" Rex asks "Yun lang masabi mo? Gago to ah." Marck rolls his eyes "Aba- Anong reaction yung gusto mo?" He asks "Yung pang Facebook." Rex answers as Marck smacks his head "Pero, seriously Marck. No big reactions?" He asks. Marck shakes his head "I'm with Jia now. There's nothing I can do." Rex hums "But if you weren't with Jia, would you do something?" He asks. "What are you trying to say, Rex?" Marck asks. "I'm just saying, you're with Jia now but Kim took you two years to get over. Shit might hit the fan." Marck's eyes darken with confusion. "Don't, Rex." 

He hated it. He hated how every conversation had to be about Kianna. He hated how everyone treated him like a porcelain doll when her name was brought up in a conversation. But most of all, he hated how everyone doubted his love for Jia. Even himself. "Look, Marcky Marck," Rex says, sighing, "I'm not trying to start a fight. I'm just stating the facts." And with that, Rex gets up, pats Marck on the shoulder, says: "See you tonight. Look handsome." And leaves. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kianna lands in Manila on December 17. Three days before Rex's engagement party and 8 days before Christmas. She begged Bea to come with her, but she still had work to finish and promised she would fly in 2 days later. As Kianna steps out of the airport, the first few drops of rain fall.