Chapter 10: Burnin' Down The House

Chapter 10

                                                                         Burnin' Down The House

"Reports are coming in about the explosion at prison Alpha-Max---" 

 "Police are still unsure what happened---"

"Politician Gary Lewiss states that everything will be sorted---"

               The news of the event at Alpha-Max spread like wildfire the next day on the radio and television. "ALPHA-MAX: MAXED OUT! Prison destroyed hours ago, police are unsure what was the actual cause. Over 150 people were injured and 70% of the prisons inmates have suddenly vanished, no bodies were found on the scene. Turn to pg 8 to read more." bared the front-lines of The New York Daily newspaper. No-Face looked at it, studying the rubble. Unfortunately, they were unable to inspect the site seeing as the place with Eaglethorn Authorities. The only good thing that came out of this situation, if any, is that they weren't "America's Most Wanted" anymore. That 'name' was rewarded to Deathwatch and his 'crew'.

     The team had decided to enter Manhattan again to find out what was going on. Bob had managed to get a newspaper and some food, they hadn't eaten for over 17 hours. They didn't talk much, the atmosphere of the room was dark and depressing. Bellicks still believed that Hoskins and Wilkins' death was his fault. "They wanted to save everyone, they volunteered, you never forced them to go. They died as heroes Bellicks. It's not your fault." repeated Susanna, over and over. It didn't work.

Meanwhile.....

        "I-I can't do this anymore...I'm sorry. You've finally crossed the line, you and your..and your sick, TWISTED MIND!!!! I'm out! No-no more..no more...." the voice gave a squeal of pain, as if it was strangled and then silence. "You're not out...not yet. I need you still, the final part of this game is coming. Alpha-Max was just the beginning. Besides, I think them freak's No-Face and Bellicks are on to us. Don't you want to stop them before they ruin EVERYTHING? You do? Good. Now...business needs to return as usual. Eaglethorn is still..well.. a thorn in my side, and still needs to be cleaned up. I've only...no sorry...WE'VE only killed a few of them. I want to finish this PERIOD. Got it?" Deathwatch flexed his neck and muscles. He need's to be silenced he thought. He's getting in my way, badgering me on and on. And he can't stop it. He's addicted. He likes this power. If he's so obsessed with leaving..why hasn't he just pulled the noose already?

       Deathwatch poured himself some brandy. He heard a sneeze behind him. He finished drinking, smashed the glass off the side of the bar. "Who's there?" he shouted. What was wrong with him? He had become frequently paranoiac lately...that wasn't normal. He wasn't afraid of nobody. Not even himself. But now..now he had become jittery. "WHO IS THERE?" he shouted again, louder this time. "Relax, it's just me. Calm down." came a voice. Out from the shadows stepped Gary Lewiss. He looked at Deathwatch. He was all sweaty. His fingers fidgeted by his side. He withdrew his hat and longcoat and put them down on the sofa.

        "I-I want to...uh..h-have a-a word..with you..." he said nervously. Deathwatch exhaled. He threw the glass on the floor. The glass shattered into a million shards, scattering everywhere around the seats. The single light glimmered on the shards. Gary walked carefully on the glass, his shoes making a soft CRUNCH! noise. He sat down and poured himself a brandy. He looked over at Deathwatch.He was just staring at the bottles in front of him. Out of courtesy, and fear, Gary quickly grabbed another glass and poured Deathwatch a drink. 

      Gary took a small sip of his drink. He put the glass down and cleared his throat. "So...uh...looks like e-everything's going as...as planned...yeah?" he blustered. Deathwatch didn't respond. Gary began sipping his drink carefully. He knew that ANYONE who drank with Deathwatch soon died from poisoning within 3 minutes. "Relax" came Deathwatch's rough voice. He seemed more calm than usual. "It ain't drugged. You're safe...for now." Gary nodded in assurance. He drank. "Alpha-Max could've gone better." Deathwatch mumbled. He stood up and fixed his jacket. Gary looked at him curiously. "B-better?" he stammered. "Yeah..better. Glad you can hear. Now...I've got business to attend to. Lock up when you're done. And don't be long.....we've got a busy day today. Time to get you're game face on." Deathwatch turned and left the room.