Chapter 9

As we ate dinner together, we didn't have to swim against the current anymore. Every time we accidentally locked eyes, we didn't have to avert our gaze. Instead, we looked into each other's eyes and gave in.

After we were done, I cleaned the plates and went over to the couch where she was waiting for me. I smiled to myself and made my way to her. I took her in my arms and we looked at the stars together.

As I felt her in my arms, I thought I'd made the right decision. I felt like I could take on the world with her by my side. I took a breath to ask for something: "Um, listen. I need a favor. Can I stay here tonight?" "Of course. Need I remind you, this is your apartment." She scoffed.

"Can I ask why, though?" She moved away so she could look at me. "I sort of broke up with Carla in front of everyone." Her eyes widened. "You did what?" She shouted. "I thought it'd be better if they all knew at once." She raised her eyebrows at me and crossed her arms in front of her.

"And how did that work out for you?" she challenged. I smiled and took her by the hips, pulling her to me. She grabbed my arms and I bent down to press my lips against her softly. "I'd say it worked out perfectly." She rolled her eyes and pecked my lips before standing up from the couch.

"Where are you going?" I whined, holding on to her hand and pulling her back to me. "I have to get to bed. I have class tomorrow." She turned away and I followed her. I didn't know what to do because I don't want to pressure her and make her think I want something more than to sleep next to her.

I still had to look for a change of clothes so I had an excuse. She looked back at me skeptically as I went into the master bedroom with her. I took that a a sign to feed her my excuse. "I'm gonna go into the guest room. I'm just gonna look for some clothes." I made my way to my old drawers and took a t-shirt from one.

She'd left them just as she'd found them. I lifted it in my fist, my back to her, as if saying 'got it'. "Good night" she whispered. She obviously wanted me to leave. I made my way to the door and said: "Good night." I closed the door and made my way to the guest room, kicking myself for not looking over at her to see if there was any sign.

I went inside the guest room, closed the door and threw the t-shirt on the bed. I pulled my own shirt over my head and I heard the doorknob being turned. I pulled it off and threw it on the floor. When I looked up, there she was. Biting her lip and looking at me from under her eyebrows.

She slowly walked over to me and placed her palms on my bare chest before standing on tiptoe to take my lower lip between hers and pull it a little. When she separated from me, I kept my eyes closed; taking in the gesture, the moment. When I opened them again, she was next to the bed pulling the covers off. A sign if there ever was one.

I hurried over to help her with them, throwing the new shirt on the desk chair beside me. She slipped into bed and I took off my pants, staying in my boxers before slipping into bed with her. "We're not going to do anything you're not ready for. Ok?" I whispered as I turned off the light and, in pitch darkness, felt her throw her arm over my abdomen, resting her head on my shoulder blade.

I slipped my arm under her and pulled her even closer. "Thank you." I kissed the top of her head and, before I could stop them, the words blurted out: "I love you." She must've felt me freeze under her. I could only brace myself for the answer because it was already out there. "I love you, too."

I felt incredible relief as I heard these words. And also, an indescribable, blissful happiness...I stirred in bed the next morning with the brightness of the sun. My arm was asleep because it'd been lying under her body the whole night. Her breathing was still steady so I tried not to move too much.

I opened my eyes and almost jumped out of the bed. There were two men inside the room, one of them holding up a paper. "What the hell is this?" I said softly, not wanting her to wake up and be startled by these men in our room. I had an idea what they were here for.