Chapter 8

I run up the stairs, uncontrollably excited and pathetically in love, a single sunflower in my hand. I knew her favorite flower was this one. I also knew she considered all flower gifts a waste of money. Suddenly, I found myself second-guessing my decision after knocking on the door. She unlocked it, opened it and was surprised to see me standing there but smiled nonetheless.

She was wearing a loose, one-shoulder short yoga shirt over a sport-bra and some really short cotton pajama bottoms. "I...I got you this." I said awkwardly as I handed her the flower. Idiot. You've kissed her and now you're afraid to tell her you've finally come clean? "I know you hate flowers and you think they're a waste of money. I don't even know why I got it, I just..." "I love it. It's beautiful." She interrupted, smelling the flower with her eyes closed.

She then looked up at me from behind the flower and I built up the courage. "I broke up with her." Her smile disappeared and she lowered the flower, revealing her whole face. I stepped forward and she stepped back as I closed the door behind me. "Why?" Was the only thing she managed to whisper, the tension between us getting stronger. "Because..." I took her free hand in mine and stepped forward. This time, she didn't pull back. I leaned down and pressed my lips against hers, tentatively at first.

She kissed me back and I felt whole. I was sure I had made the right decision as she wrapped her arms around my neck and stood on tip-toe. I wrapped her in my arms and practically carried her full body weight so she wouldn't strain. She tangled her free hand in my hair as I felt the flower looming behind me, still in her hand. I let go of her body and she pulled back, not breaking the kiss.

I walked toward the huge couch while pushing her by the hips. She kept walking backwards, not looking and completely trusting me. She finally broke the kiss to softly place the flower down on the center table. We smiled at each other and I pushed her on the couch. I balanced my body over hers and kissed her again as she took my face in her hands. I then started kissing her neck but she started pushing my head back.

"Álvaro, stop." I quickly separated from her and sat up, afraid I'd done something wrong. "What's wrong?" She sat up and folded her legs under her as she always did, looking down. I decided to give her time and she finally looked up, her eyes apologetic: "I'm just not ready. I'm sorry." She was starting to get up from the couch but I put my hands on her arms, forcing her to sit down. "No, I'm sorry. I thought you wanted to." There was no physical contact between us as I sat at a safe distance from her. "I thought so too. I just...I want my first to be..." "Special?" I asked. "Yes."

She crawled over to me and kneeled, her buttocks resting on her heels. "You understand, right?" She took my hands in hers and looked directly into my eyes. "Of course. I should be the one apologizing for being so forward." I looked down in shame, feeling like a man who just wanted to get some. It wasn't like that. She placed her hand on my cheek and forced me to look at her, a wide smile on her face. She pressed her lips softly against mine and I responded but then she started deepening it and groping my shirt with her hands.

She finally stopped and I couldn't help but think I had just passed the most difficult test of self-control known to man. I wanted to make love with her so bad. But at the same time, I wasn't disappointed. I wanted her to be happy. Her happiness makes me happy. She pressed her forehead against mine and bit her lower lip. "Although if you keep kissing me like that, I will not be held responsible for my actions." She kissed my cheek and stood up. "Got it."

She took the sunflower from the center table: "Let me find a vase for this." "Here, let me help you. I know where they are." I follow her to the kitchen, delighting in that deliciously latin sway of the hips. "It's ok, Álvaro. I can do it." I knew the shelves where we kept the vases were really high and she wouldn't able to reach them. "No you can't." I chuckled. She turned to face me: "Is that a challenge?" "Actually, yeah. It is." I thrust my chin up. "I'm gonna get it." She actually knew where they were and opened the cabinet but, as I remembered, they were very high.

She looked back at me and I smiled. I shrugged and folded my arms in front of me, raising both my eyebrows. "Now what?" I asked. But she is a stubborn one. She put the flower down in the counter behind her and climbed on the other. She kneeled, took a vase of her choosing and jumped back down. "That's right. Woo!" She celebrated, triumphant. I only shook my head and laughed at her. She is perfect. She filled the vase up with water and put the sunflower in it. "You have the blood of a lawyer all right." We both laugh and I reach for the refrigerator door.

"Let's cook something. I'm starving." "I'll cook. You must be exhausted from that awesome game you played today." I looked back at her in awe and closed the fridge again. "You saw that?" "Of course! You wouldn't shut up about it. I had to watch it." She scoffed sarcastically and then smiled. I faked shock and closed the gap between us to tickle her. "What did you say? What?" She was gasping for air in between all the laughing. "Álvaro! Stop! I can't breathe!" I finally stopped and pulled her to me as she placed her hands on my arms, trying to steady her breathing and laying her head on my chest.

I kissed her forehead and she got serious. "That assist was amazing, Álvaro. I really paid attention to the match. You were so close to scoring that time." I started explaining to her how it all had happened as she propped herself up on the counter, listening to me intently. "Anyways, I'm gonna help you cook. Let's make some pasta." I started taking the stuff out of the fridge as she took the pasta elbows from the pantry. "It's ok. I can do it." "No, I want to help you. Please let me help you." I pouted and she rolled her eyes, giving in.