"Why do you work for your father at the company when you have a gift. You can design and create dresses and paint. You could have your own fashion label instead of being a murder."
"Melanie, it's not that easy. You think I can just walk into my father's office and say "Guess what Dad? I'm going to be a fashion designer?"
I could tell the mood had definitely changed and the atmosphere in the room started to feel tense.
"I don't see why not? What's so bad about it?"
"my father would never allow it. It not a masculine job, and besides he needs my help at the company."
"Doing what? killing people?" I stood up furious. "There are many famous fashion designers that are married."
"Yes, but they don't have a multimillion dollar family corporation on their hands! My father needs me Melanie! Marco isn't here anymore, so I'm going to inherit the company when my father passes away. I need to focus on learning everything for when that time comes."
"But your father's a vampire! He's going to live forever!"
"Well he's going to have to retire and move away when he gets of age."
"So you're basically going to fake his death?"
"Most likely."
"Unbelievable," I said shaking my head. I walked away, but Dimitri pulled me back.
"What?" He asked annoyed.
I looked him fiercely in the eyes.
"I thought I married a real man, but I see I didn't. I married someone who isn't willing to face their father for their dream job."
"who says fashion designing is my dream job?"
"Are you saying you like killing people?"
I yanked my arm out of his grip.
"No, but-"
"Then what's the problem?"
"Melanie, how can you ask that?! Our families have been mafia families since forever! This is our life! I can't just leave this life! This would be a disgrace to my family."

"There's nothing wrong with being a fashion designer, if I weren't married to you I would probably be designing. I wouldn't  care what any of the families would say. It's my life not there's, and frankly I never like being part of a mafia and killing innocent people." with that I left him in his studio not even glancing back at the dress. I was so mad at him I didn't even want to see him. I grabbed my things from his bedroom, but was blocked at the door by Dimitri who had just entered.
"Where are you going?" he asked raking his hand through his hair which looked like he had done many times.
"I'm going to my bedroom," I answered cooly.
"Melanie I don't want us to be fighting please just stay here."
"I don't-"
"Please," he pleaded with his eyes.
"Fine," I turned back around and walked to the bathroom slamming the door shut.
A few minutes later after changing and getting ready for bed I walked out to find Dimitri out on the freezing balcony with his bare back facing me. I would've cared about his health, but at the moment I was not in the mood to even see him. He walked back into the room heading for the bathroom. I finished brushing my hair, so I walked to the bed setting many of the pillows on the chair next to the bed leaving only the one I liked to sleep on. I turned out my lamp which left only his lamp and the fireplace. I got into bed not inching towards the middle like I usually did. I stayed on my side with my back facing Dimitri. I heard the bathroom door open and close. I felt the bed sink a little as he sighed noting that I was not in my usual spot. He turned off his lamp not even uttering a "good night".
The next morning I woke up feeling very comfortable, as if I was in somebody's arms. My eyes snapped open. Dimitri's arms were wrapped around my body as my back still faced him. How did I end up here? I remembered last night which brought back the anger. I tried to pry off Dimitri's arms, but they were securely fastened around my body. I groaned which woke up Dimitri. 
"Would you mind removing your arms?"
He let go. "I don't know how you got in my arms," he innocently said.
"Oh please! It's not like I subconsciously tried to get in your arms."
"You did."
My face turned bright red.
"Whatever." I got up feeling embarrassed when I still should have been furious. I pledged to myself that I would give him the silent treatment. I put on my robe heading downstairs to help Sofie with breakfast.
"Good morning Sofie," I said walking into the kitchen.
"Good morning dear. How was last night?"
"Last night?"
"Yes, last night. Didn't Dimitri show you the surprise?"
"Don't even remind me," I muttered grabbing the jar of orange juice from the fridge.
"Did you not like it?" she asked flipping the pancakes as I sat on one of the island chairs.
"I loved it. It's just Dimitri makes me so mad sometimes." I proceeded to tell Sofie last nights argument. As I finished Dimitri walked in freshly showered wearing a white button down shirt with some black slacks. I looked away reminding myself I was supposed to ignore him.
"Good morning ladies," he happily said as if nothing had ever happened. He kissed Sofie's cheek like he usually did and walked over to kiss me. He would've given me a peck on the lips, but I moved my face so he kissed my cheek instead. He didn't say anything, while Sofie on the other hand shook her head. We ate breakfast in silence, but Sofie broke it by asking, "What time will you be leaving?"
"Noon." Noon? That meant I only had 3 hours to get ready, or... I didn't have to go.
"We need to pack a small suitcase. We're going to be staying at the Marino's mansion." I didn't say anything. I put my empty plate in the sink thanking Sofie as I walked back to our room. Dimitri soon followed matching my stride. as we walked to his room it I took a detour instead heading for my office.
"Where are you going?" I didn't answer just kept walking. I reached my office and shut the door. I picked a random book from my bookshelf and settled into my reading chair opening to the first few pages. Dimitri of course followed me watching every move in disbelief."what are you doing? We're supposed to be leaving in less than three hours," he said glancing at his watch. I still didn't answer. "You're ignoring me." he stated. He growled in frustration.
"Melanie get ready."
I broke my pledge saying, "I'm not going."
"You're not going?" he raised an eyebrow. I continued reading. "Well you're going to have to go whether you like it or not. It's in the contract." 
I placed the book on the coffee table standing up.
"Fine, but I am not wearing that dress." I could see hurt in his eyes, but he masked it with anger.
"I made that for you to wear it to the ball."
"I don't have to wear it, it's not in the contract. Or what? Are going to force me to wear it?"
"I guess I might have to," he threatened.
"Why do you want me to wear it? What am I going to say when people ask who designed it? I would rather wear something the designer is actually proud of and will recognize." His jaw clenched. 
"Fine I'll recognize that I made it. Just wear the dress, and hurry we need to be leaving soon."