Chapter 3- Astray Hopes

The Zoroark awoke carefully and looked up, his emerald eyes gleaming happily. The foxes huddled in the corner, and he looked at what they were afraid of. Two Houndooms, bones protruding from their shoulders, stood growling at the trickster fox.

He gulped, knowing he was too weak to fight at the moment. He stood up and growled, trembling slightly. The hounds scoffed at his attempt of intimidation, and one pounced while the other growled at the two fire foxes. He struggled to no use, he was still weak from being torn apart, literally.

The younger of the foxes yapped angrily, now desperate to fight away the intruders. They had fought back many attackers, but these were the most powerful and persistent. The Houndoom knocked away the angry Vulpix and approached the Ninetales, smirking devilishly.

"Stop!" Wolf yelped, to no avail. The Houndoom preventing him from fighting back chuckled and pressed down his head to the side so he was forced to watch every second of it. The Vulpix was unconscious and fortunately did not have to witness the act, but Wolf lay, helpless, as his only friend was slain. The Houndoom smirked and stabbed her chest savagely, over and over until blood poured down. She yelped in intense pain, but was too old and frail to fight. The Houndooms both snickered, and the hound attacking the foxes backed up, letting her die slowly and painfully as Wolf watched. He tried to close his eyes but whenever he did so the Houndoom responsible for him pressed harder and dug her claws into his skull. He turned slightly and groaned as blood trickled from his cranium.

"W-what do you want?" He spat angrily. The Houndoom cackled and knocked him back down, pressing as hard as she could.

"We like to see you struggle... You can't die, but we'll make you suffer... Suffer beyond imagine," she muttered darkly and got up, leaving a large cut down his body where she had dragged her claws across. He gasped for breath when released and tried to go after the Houndooms, but they were already gone. His eyes wide and vacant, he looked back at the dead Ninetales in disbelief. He sat next to her carcass in horror, and rocked back and forth. "Just a bad dream," he whispered to himself, over and over for hours...