"Kakarrot!"

Goku pushed back his welding mask, staring off into space. He simply could not get the Saiyan boy off his mind. It had been three days since the incident. Goku tossed down the tools he was holding and washed his hands in the nearby sink. He glanced around the garage and shook his head. He had a feeling that he was about to make a big mistake, but...

"You said he was in foster care, you think?" he asked the receptionist from the hospital. "I'm an eligible foster parent."

She looked at him oddly. "Umm, Mr. Son, it's not my intention to be rude, but have you met the kid? It might be safer for you if he stays with us."

Goku sighed. "But... he's a Saiyan. You said it would be better for him to be with his own kind." He ran a hand exasperatedly through his hair. "Could I just meet him? I'll get all the paperwork and everything. I just want to meet him."

"I suppose," the lady replied. She caught a nearby nurse and asked after Doctor Burda. The young woman nodded and continued on her way. In only a few short minutes- although to Goku it felt like an hour, a rather handsome man strode in.

"You must be Mr. Son!" he greeted the Saiyan cheerfully. "Doctor Jason Burda. I understand that you wish to see the boy?" When Goku nodded, unable to keep a smile off his face, he too grinned. "Aren't you in luck. He's in a decent mood right now, so I think it high time he has a reward for his behavior. Come with me." He waved for Goku to follow him. As they went, Burda continued to speak. "I have to admit to you, Mr. Son, I've only met a few Saiyans before, and he is not normal. I wish that he were anywhere but here, but it's likely for his own safety, as well as the general populace's, that he remains with us for the time being. Although... if you were interested in fostering him, I'd be more than happy to vouch for you."

"Thank you, doctor," Goku said, a bit surprised by the chatty behavior of the young doctor. Burda opened a rather heavy-looking door and peeked in. "Hey, it's me, buddy. Can I come in?" At some sort of signal, Goku was guessing, Burda opened the door wider and moved in, motioning for Goku to follow. "Ok, I want you to stay calm for me, yeah? I brought someone to see you. Is that ok?"

Goku finally caught his second glimpse of the boy. Again, he felt his chest tighten slightly as he took him in. Something in the boy's young eyes looked both innocent and omniscient. They were completely black, with no distinction between pupil and iris. Dark eyes were the norm for Saiyans, but this were the darkest eyes Goku had ever seen in his entire life. They were literally breathtaking. He swallowed and smiled. "Hi, my name is Goku. Do you remember me, from a few days... ago...?"

As he spoke, a dark look crossed the boy's face. Burda slowly moved in front of Goku. "It's ok. It's ok. Hey, don't do that."

The spiky-haired boy curled his lip in a dog-like snarl and spat out, "Kakarrot!" directly at Goku. The older Saiyan blinked in surprise. He glanced quickly at Burda, who seemed equally shocked. "Uh... is that your name...?"

An exasperated sigh passed the boy's pale lips. He shook his head and moved forward.

"Sit down," said Burda firmly, but gently.

The boy ignored him and put a single hand on Goku's broad chest. "Kakarrot," he repeated with a gentle pat. That was three. Three times the boy had spoken, and only when in Goku's presence! Burda nodded for Goku to sit down in a nearby chair. When he had, the boy relaxed and sat down on his bed. Burda leaned comfortably against the doorway.

"So what is your name?" Goku asked, still confused by the whole Kakarrot thingy.

The boy sneered and shook his head, looking at Burda.

"You cheeky little thing," Burda teased. "He's not gonna talk with me around. And he knows about the cameras. We can't keep 'em installed directly in the room because he takes them apart and plays with them!"