Chapter 8 (Part 3)

Bắt đầu từ đầu

Adam's face went a little green. That comment was eerily specific. He didn't suppose he masturbated more or less than any other man his age, but it was true: he enjoyed watching hentai. Was that a lucky guess, or did Papa Smurf know everything that happened in the Eden Towers as Lili said?

"Bet I don't watch as much porn as you."

Papa Smurf laughed.

"I don't like porn, man. I fuck. Who do you think got my girlfriend pregnant? The Holy Ghost? While you milk yourself like a cow, I can snap my fingers and have women..." He pointed at his crotch. "Right where I want them."

Once Papa Smurf finished checking the padlocks and paid the truck drivers in cash, he asked Adam to come with him to his apartment.

God. Am I getting my computer back?

On the way up in the elevator, Adam was glad the boy didn't take his eyes off his phone; several women much younger than his sister undressing in Snapchat grabbed all his attention. The idea that Bianca lived in a world where this happened upset his stomach.

On the tenth floor, the relentless barking of that damn dog echoed down the hallway.

"Stay outside," Papa Smurf told Adam as he walked into his apartment.

This time, Adam didn't wait long. Not a minute went by when Papa Smurf was back, holding an expandable police baton.

A torrent of images flooded Adam's mind: a truck-mounted water cannon shooting protesters down with a brutal stream of water, shattering their bones as they hit the ground hard; the National Guard riot shields smeared with red; expandable batons, like the one Papa Smurf held in his hand, cracking the skulls of teenagers like Bianca; the screams of pain and anguish drowned by a maddening buzzing sound?

"What are you waiting for, Mr. Comedian?" Papa Smurf asked. "You want it wrapped for Christmas or something?"

"I don't understand."

"The deal was you finish the job; I get Lili the PC."

"I remember."

"The job's not done."

"I'm done."

Papa Smurf's mouth drew back in a grimacing smile.

"That's cojones right there. I castrated my dog, tho. There's no reason I couldn't do it again."

"I'm done unloading your contraband."

"You're not unloading shit. Grab the baton."

Does he want my fingerprints on the weapon, maybe? No. It makes no sense. He's holding it without gloves.

"No."

"Okay," Papa Smurf threw the baton back inside, causing a loud metallic racket in his living room. "Good for you. Living a life free of worldly possessions will wash away your sins, Mr. Comedian."

Adam's neck tensed. Where had he heard that phrase before?

Stop worrying about stupid stuff. Get your PC back.

Before Papa Smurf could close the gate, Adam stopped him.

"Wait! Okay. What do you want me to do?"

"What my dog couldn't—Get rid of the homeless guy in the other parking lot."

"You want me to kill someone?"

Papa Smurf shrugged.

"I have an incoming shipment I need stored, and it reeks down there. Dead or alive, I don't care. I want him and his smelly ass out of my domain."

"No."

"Are you going to let her down?"

"What?"

"Do it for her."

Adam wasn't sure why, but he thought Papa Smurf was talking about Bianca and not Lili. He couldn't shake the feeling that the boy knew more than he was letting on, and that was terrible news for him.

To be continued...