5

Derek was stunned for a moment, letting the shock set in. He hadn't told anyone about his plan to come home this weekend, but he also wasn't expecting to find Stiles hanging out with his little sister. He just wanted to surprise his family, not cause more problems with Stiles. He wanted to fix their relationship, but he didn't think Stiles was ready to talk yet.

He sighed after awhile, pushing back the urge to cry as he walked down the hallway to his room to set his things down. He had not greeted his parents yet, so he tried to forget about Stiles and wandered downstairs, following the music playing from the kitchen. He walked in and immediately grabbed a cookie from the plate on the counter, but his mom smacked his hand before he could eat it. "Those are for good sons who don't cheat on their boyfriends," she teased, shaking her head at him.

"Mom, don't you think I feel terrible enough?" He grumbled, eating the cookie anyways. "I wish I would have known he'd be here. Now things are even more awkward between us."

"Well prepare for the most awkward dinner of your life then, because he's staying. It's his congratulatory dinner for getting accepted to his college," she shared, smiling evilly. Derek felt his stomach drop. "Oh, and his father is coming."

"I can not stay for that," Derek decided, taking a step towards the door. This was not the way to mend their broken relationship, or lack of one. "I'll go out with Danny or someone to get dinner."

"Ah, but you don't have a choice, young man. You got yourself into this mess, now you have to deal with the consequences." She kissed his cheek gently, squeezing his shoulder as she brushed past him into the living room while she waited for the lasagna to cook in the oven. Derek groaned internally and ran back upstairs to his room.

+++

He debated on telling his mom he didn't feel well enough to eat, but he knew she'd never buy it. There was nothing to do other than pretend Stiles and his father weren't there. Which is easier said than done. He walked downstairs, keeping his eyes low so he wouldn't make eye contact. He sat next to his dad and stayed quiet. He could feel everyone staring at him.

"Derek, I didn't know you were back in town," Sheriff said casually, forcing Derek to acknowledge him. He started to reply, but Stiles cut him off with a glare.

"Dad, what did I tell you?" he nearly growled. The sheriff shook his head and stared at the table.

"You're not even going to let your dad speak to me?" Derek blurted out without thinking. He was trying not to let his emotions get the best of him, but it was hard. He felt anger, but he knew he had no right to be angry. It was mostly at himself, but still. 

Stiles gaped at him, almost angrily. "No, I'm not. And you don't get to speak to me either. If I had known you'd be here, I wouldn't have come," he spat, making Derek's insides twist with pain. Stiles turned his attention to Cora. Everyone was awkwardly quiet. Cora gently patted his arm.

"I didn't know you'd be here either," Derek defended himself quietly. He knew he should have shut up, but he wasn't very smart when it came to Stiles.

Stiles laughed harshly, shaking his head. "And is that supposed to make things better?"