Chapter 2

Jay's POV

"Oh my God," I murmured, speechless, leaning back in the chair, and run my hand helplessly through my face. Meanwhile Will took the letter.

"Mr. Jay Halstead has in all the DNA systems investigated the inheritance features to be demanded for the child's father. It therefore he comes as the father in question. This resulted in a paternity probability of over 99.9999%. Based on the present investigation, it is practically proven that Mr. Jay Halstead is the biological father of the child." he read the letter and said, "Congratulations little brother. You have become a father. I've always wanted to be an uncle."

"That can't be true." I muttered in disbelief. On the one hand I was glad, on the other hand I do not know what I should feel.

"Just do the best of it. Be there for the child." Will said and I nodded bewildered.

The next day I talk a long time with Abby by phone. She wanted me to get to know our child as soon as possible, so we agreed that we would go to the park on Saturday.

CPDCPDCPD

"So excited I haven't seen you for years." Will grinned.

"I get to know my child today." I said.

"I know and you will tell me everything after my shift."

"What if the kid doesn't want to meet me?" I asked.

"Jay. Keep calm. I think the kid is eagerly waiting to meet you." Will said, and patted me on the shoulder, "You can do it. If necessary, Abby is still there." Will said before he left to go to work.

Nervously, I ran back and forth in the apartment, looking out of the window from time to time. The nervousness was almost unbearable. I looked at my watch, then on my smartphone just to make sure the watch went right. After all, I do not want to be late for our meeting.

My thoughts were playing more and more crazy. What if I don't correspond to the child's ideas? What if I'm not ready to be a father? How does the child look like? Is it more like Abby or me?

A knock on the door brought me back to reality. I opened the door. My breath stopped. A strange man stood before me. I would guess Latino. He looked a little disheveled and chewed on a chewing gum. He kept a travel bag in his hand. Next to him was a little girl with a stuffed animal under her arm.

"I was told I should deliver the kid here." the man said, putting the bag down. I just nodded because my voice stayed away from me. I looked at the little girl. She had shoulder-length brown hair that was braided into two pigtails, brown eyes and light freckles.

"Did the mother not come along?" I asked confused.

"I should take her to the airport, but she gave me a letter for you." he replied. I nodded, took the letter and the taxi driver hurried away. I bent down to the height of my child, "I'm Jay and you?"

"Lilly." she whispered barely audible.

"Lilly. That's a beautiful name. Do you want to come in?" I asked.

She shrugged her shoulders. I took the bag and led my daughter into the living room. She clasped her stuffed animal shyly and buried her face in it. It was probably not easy deal for both of us with the new situation.

"Would you like something to drink?" I asked overwhelmed after I put down the jam-packed travel bag. She shook her head.

"You can sit down, too. Feel completely at home." I said.

The travel bag awakened me the impression that the child would probably stay here longer and of course, the fact that Abby was at the airport. She sat down on the couch while I sat in the armchair. Curious, I opened the letter, which gave me the taxi driver.