Chapter 5: An Unobtainable Life

Start from the beginning

"He's a pureblood."

"Zero..." There was an edge of protest in her voice, but inside, she felt like a hypocrite. She'd remembered telling Kaien that she would kill any vampire, including purebloods, just like Zero had told her one afternoon after switch-over. 

His eyes were covered by his silver hair, mouth set into a thin line. She could see that he was fighting himself not to say anything. Maya got up, chair scraping against the wood floor and she walked over to where Zero sat, giving an affectionate ruffle of his hair before heading back to the Girls Dorm room.

The Next Day:

Kaien and Yagari followed her, Zero and Yuuki as they walked towards the Association and Maya could tell Zero was getting ticked.

"Can you leave us alone? This isn't some parent-teacher conference!" Zero growled.

"We just came to help, "Persisted Kaien, expression turning into one of rejection causing Zero to huff, pulling Yuuki along faster as they neared the doors. Going inside, Maya split off, heading towards a hallway that branched off from the main atrium.

"Kid, where you going?" asked Yagari.

"To see a friend." She replied without looking back. Going down a hallway and a couple flights of stairs, she entered a long, half-lit corridor. There were only a few doors that were spread apart from each other on either side of the hallway. As she began walking past the doors, Yagari called after her. 

"Maya, what are you doing?"

"I want to see him..."

"The President won't allow it." He said. "You're too attached."

Maya stopped in front of Daisuke's cell door, turning sharply to face her trainer and family friend, eyes narrowing with malice. "How. Dare. You. He is my boyfriend, my family. I will see him whenever I like."

"He's been having a bad week. His attacks are getting worse."

"So what! What if today is his only good day. I haven't seen him in over two months because my ridiculous adoptive father won't allow me to take one step off campus so that I can't immerse myself in work again. He is part of the only family I have left. I don't give a damn about work right now, all I care about is seeing him, now open that damn door." Maya said, not breaking eye contact with him. 

Yagari looked taken aback, but unlocked the door, mumbling a hunter charm under his breath. "I'll give you twenty minutes." The door opened with a low groan, revealing a room as equally lit as it had been in the hallway. There was nothing in the room besides a low metal bed and a person sitting on a mattress.

"Be careful," Yagari warned. 

"He's drugged to the brim, you idiot." She snarled, walking forward with confidence and caution. "Daisuke?"

There wasn't so much as a twitch in her direction, eyes far off, staring at nothing. She sat down on the edge of the cot near his hip.

"He went through a forced change today." She heard Yagari inform her from the door. "He shouldn't be of any-"

"That's great to hear, can you please leave us alone?" She asked irritably, trying to shoe him away, turning her head to glare. Yagari disappeared from the door frame, but she knew he was right there. 

"Thought...you forgot about...me..." She heard Daisuke say, whipping her head around, she saw him staring at her with his grey-blue eyes, his hair was cut like Zero's. 

"I'd never forget about you." Raising a hand, she brushed his cheek, running a hand through his soft hair. "You feeling okay, today?" Idiot, of course, he wasn't okay.