xix. GREEK TRAGEDY

CHAPTER NINETEEN

CHAPTER NINETEEN

GREEK TRAGEDY

IN GREEK TRAGEDIES, THE MAIN CHARACTER ALWAYS HAD A FLAW THAT LED TO THEIR DOWNFALL. The fatal flaw, accurately described, that caused them to fly too high and never reach the ground because the sun inevitably burned them. Like Icarus – much like Icarus. Sometimes it was simple hubris, the confidence in their abilities overcrowding common sense until that confidence destroyed them.

         It was funny, at least, that they were always their own destruction. They fell because of a flaw; they fell because of themselves. They did not change their ways, and so they died. They destroyed. Themselves, their lives, everything around them.

         Morgan, however, was determined not to be a Greek tragedy. She would not lead to her own destruction, nor would she allow a fatal flaw to be her doom. Her flaws her manageable, and they did not have permission to overtake her and destroy her. She would not be another Icarus who flew too close to the sun until to find how burning it could be, she would not be so foolish to believe in herself so highly.

         But...but...

         There was still pride. That damned pride which doomed her. It held her up, it caused her cold stare, it was her fortress. No one could touch her with her pride. Releasing it for Adeline and Dominic was challenging, admitting mistakes and living to let learn. More challenging than she intended, because in a perfect world Morgan would always be amendable to accept criticism from her friends and wouldn't shut them all out.

         And it took overcoming that pride to let them back in. To grow, to change, and to adapt.

         As pride was learned, logically she knew it could be unlearned. Unconditioned from her programming, and like the little kid who never held themselves too highly again as she used to be. But she had come a long way from that little girl, no longer was she silly and idealistic. No longer was she naïve to the world and all its evil; she knew it.

         Evil had touched her shoulder, held her close, and whispered the threats of her doom if she did not obey. Morgan Lee knew evil now, and she could no longer be a silly little girl.

         And that was the crux of the problem. What she wanted to unlearn was a product of years into building it; what she wanted to be again she could no longer fully return to. She was past the point of no return, lost in evil and darkness, and her pride...

         Her pride was becoming a fatal flaw.

         In some ways, it already had been. The fear that Helen would die, the unwillingness to atone, the pride that always made her feel so high. Her pride had already corrupted so much of her, it had already destroyed so much of her life. It was the final fatal blow to so many parts of herself, so she was already becoming a Greek tragedy.