Chapter 9 Here In Death Valley

I'm only human, I've got a skeleton in me

But I'm not the villain

Despite what you're always preaching

Raven's POV

Honestly, I felt bad for not telling Patrick and Pete about what I was feeling. I had been feeling fatigued really easy lately and the red dots on my skin had been there for a few weeks now. But I guess that I was afraid. And besides, I was never one to complain about medical problems.

So now I'm in the hospital. In a stupid starched white bed. With wires attached to every part of me. And I'm getting tests. How could my day get any better? I guess that's where the doctor, Patrick, and Pete come in. Literally.

I had just rolled over for the hundredth time trying to find a comfortable spot on this bed, but I knew there wasn't one. That's one of the reasons I hated hospitals. But I heard the door to my room open, and I just knew it was a doctor. When they come into the room, you can just feel everything change. But since I knew it was a doctor, I refused to roll over to face them. Instead, I just focused on the wall opposite me, trying to find something interesting about it.

"Raven?" That was Patrick, not a doctor.

I rolled over and faced him. It looked like he had tears, but I didn't know why and I also didn't want to pry. "They finally let you in, huh?" I asked with a small smile.

He gave me a weak smile. "Yup. Pete too."

Pete then appeared from behind Patrick and smiled at me like there was nothing wrong. He reached over and ruffled my hair. "Hey, kiddo. How are you feeling?"

I took a moment to think about it. "Well, aside from feeling like death itself resides in my body, I'd say pretty good."

Pete gave a small chuckle, but looked uncomfortable, while Patrick looked like he was going to break down at any moment. "Patrick, what's wrong?" I asked him.

Patrick just shook his head and smiled. "Nothing."

You know, Patrick's a horrible liar. I knew that something was up, but if he didn't want to talk about it, then it didn't need to be discussed. So I just dropped it and changed the subject. "Where's Joe and Andy?"

"Both on their way as we speak." Pete answered.

"What took them so long?" I asked, sitting up and adjusting the pathetic hospital gown.

"Well, we aren't in Chicago anymore." Pete said quietly.

"Wait, what? Where are we? I didn't think I passed out that long." I asked. When I finally got to the hospital bed after the doctors took me, I ended up passing out. I had woken up a couple hours before.

"Memphis," Patrick said sadly. "St. Jude Children's Hospital."

"Why am I here?" I asked. I knew what St. Jude's was for and what they specialized in. I just prayed with every fiber of my being that I wasn't here for that specific reason.

A doctor then walked in. He was young with brown hair that was kept in a style and was tall. He smiled at me and sat down at the foot of my bed. "Hi, there. I'm Doctor Williams, but you can just call me Spencer, okay?" I nodded. "Do you know why you're here, Raven?"

"No, but I took a guess and I'm hoping it's not true." I said quietly, avoiding eye contact.

"Do you know what leukemia is, Raven?" He asked.

Right there, all my suspicions and fears were realized in that question. "Yes. I do. Please tell me that you're just asking and that I don't have it." I said desperately. Tears were starting to form and I felt like I was just shrinking further into my bed.

"Honey, I hate telling you this, but you do have leukemia. It's stage three, and aggressive. But the good news is that we think that with some chemotherapy, you'll be good to go within a year, okay?" He said. I knew he felt bad that he was telling me this by his voice. You can tell a lot about a person and what they mean by the way they say things. You can fake a face, but you can never fake eyes and your voice.

I had never told anyone this, but death was my biggest fear. Most doctors and psychologists call it thanatophobia. And I knew I was going to die. This disease was going to kill me. I would hardly have any time knowing what a real family felt like. Instead, I would be going into oblivion. It was all going to end here.

I felt someone's hand on my shoulder, and I knew that they were saying something, but I couldn't hear them. I was too worried about how I would say goodbye to everybody I know. I looked around wildly and saw Pete's mouth moving, but no words coming out. Doctor Spencer was by my heart monitor, saying something but I couldn't hear. My eyes then looked at my heart monitor, and I realized that my heart rate was literally through the roof at 237 beats. Huh, it's never gotten that high before. I guess that's because I was being faced with death.

That was until I heard something. Someone was singing. I looked around and realized that Patrick was laying in the bed next to me, singing.

I'm calling you from the future,

To let you know we've made a mistake

And there's a fog from the past that's giving me,

Giving me such a headache

And I'm back with the madness,

I'm a champion of the people who don't believe in champions

I got nothing but dreams inside, got nothing but dreams

I'm just young enough to still believe, still believe

But young enough to not know what to believe in

Young enough not to know what to believe in, yeah.

If I can live through this

I can do anything.

A/N

Hey, guyses! You're here with me: Doctor Death-Defy. I'll be your surgeon, your proctor, your helicopter. I don't know why I did that, but there it is XD. Anyways, thanks bunches for the reads! Keeps me going :) So, if you really like this story, let me know by commenting and voting!

Love from the other side of the screen,

Pebbs xx