Chapter 1: Family Bonds

Alex's POV

Our family is different than others. My siblings and I were raised by my Aunt Lissa and Uncle Lon'qu. We were the Ylissean Royal Family.

Our father was the last exalt and with our mother, lead the halidom in a positive direction. Peace was once again in our borders, but everything changed when the Grimleal, or so Aunt Lissa says. But, I've heard nasty rumors that Mother had killed Father, eight years ago.

After Father died, Mother left us in the care of our aunt. She left for reasons unknown. But, she left letters for us and a library of books which I spent most of my days.

Today was the day.

Today was the day we opened the letter.

Morgan's POV

The letter was going to be opened.  We would soon learn of its enigmatic content.  What secrets would it reveal?  Would we finally learn what happened to Mother?

Filled with excitement, I rushed into Alex's room which is right next door.  She was starting off into the distance like she always does. 

They say she got the level-headed, and calculating side of Mother, and I got the carefree, joyful side.  That is ever present in our lives.   That's why we get along so well.  We are two halves of a greater whole.

Alex turned and smiled.  I knew she was just as excited as me, though she is  stoical.  But, that mask of emotionlessness comes off when it is any of our family.  Mostly me.

She walked over and hugged me.  "Happy birthday, Morgan." 

"Happy birthday, Alex!"

"Are you ready to receive our first present?  I don't even have to ask that.  I know you are."

"I can't stop thinking about it.  What is in the letter, where is Mother, and stuff like that."

"Well, let's go see Aunt Lissa."  We walked down the hallway until we reached Aunt Lissa and Uncle Lon'qu's room.  We looked at each other, smiled, and knocked on the door. 

No reply.  I knock again.  Still no reply.

"Maybe they are in the throne room with Lucina and Owain."  Alex suggested.  "I say let's head there."

"Sure, let's do this."

Alex's POV

The throne room was filled with people we knew.  Shepherds and their children.  Servants.  Guards.  All of them here for our birthday.

Aunt Lissa and Lucina were in the front, Lucina standing in front of the throne of Aunt Lissa beside her.  We walked up to them and everyone shouted and hollered.

Aunt Lissa smiled and handed me the letter.  Morgan leaned in closer to get a better look at it.  The messy handwriting simply said "Morgan and Alex."  In the corner, there were faint indents.  By the looks of it, tears.

We went into the study close by the throne room.  It was unused.  The last time it was used was by my mother.

We sat down and opened the letter.