Chapter 4 Part 2: ...And to Save the Ones We Don't

Start from the beginning

"To be honest, vampires that were formerly human shouldn't exist in the first place." 

At that Zero and Maya stared at him in disbelief.

"How could you say such a thing!" Snarled Zero, watching as the pureblood healed Yuuki's wound after pulling up her sleeve to reveal a bad looking cut. 

"Perhaps," Kuran said. "When you hesitated in killing that Level E, you sympathized with him."

There was a sound of a chain and a gun appeared, aimed point-blank at Kuran's face, who looked down the barrel, expressionless. Maya was there too, having moved before the gun could have proper aim, her hand clasped over the opening of the gun.

"Zero!" She exclaimed, surprised by his sudden offensive action. A few agonizing seconds passed before Zero relented, making a tsk sound before retreating. Maya moved a little ways away, staying near the couch but leaning against a pillar to the left of it. Zero moved back to his usual spot, more pissed than ever.

The smell of foreign blood hit her senses, making her look over at the dessert table. Takuma had accidentally cut his finger with a serving knife. A strangled gasp came from Zero and he ran off to around the front of the Dorms, hand over his mouth.She guessed it was because of the smell of blood, triggering his bloodlust. Pity once again filled her and she was about to go after him, but Yuuki yelled his name and ran off, leaving Maya to stay behind by herself. 

"Aren't you going to follow them?" Kuran asked, sienna-colored eyes swimming with interest. 

"I'm sure Yuuki can handle it." She paused for a moment. "I don't understand what would make you say such things to Zero. I'm sure that you're well aware of his situation. He hates what he is, and there's no reason to make him feel any worse."

Kuran gestured to the now empty space next to him, offering her a place to sit. She took it, reluctantly, making sure to keep two feet between them. "Kiryuu needs to accept what he is."

"I know him well enough that he won't," said Maya. There was a faint splash from somewhere nearby, causing both of their heads to turn towards the sound, then a few seconds later, a gunshot. Maya turned in her seat, brow furrowing as she picked up the faint scent of Zero's blood, along with the smell of cigarette smoke. The foreign scent was familiar, but there was no way to place it. What the hell was going on over there?

"And how much is well enough?" Kuran asked. She turned back to him, seeing his chin resting on a closed fist, gaze almost lazy. "You don't understand what it is like to be us..."

"You're quite right, I don't. But I've seen and experienced things that allow me that understanding." Maya told him. "I'm not naive to the ways of this world." 

As he replied, her attention was diverted elsewhere, feeling the unmistakable feeling of being watched. Glancing around the patio, no one was looking at them. A rustle of leaves came from the trees to the left of the pureblood, but it had been too loud to have been a squirrel which was her first thought. The noise sounded again, triggering her guard to go up significantly. Slowly, she stood, eyeing the dark forest, catching a glint in the darkness, it disappeared, then reappeared. 

In that split second, she grabbed Kuran by the shoulder and shoved him forward as three gunshots went off. Two harmlessly landed in a pillar, the other hit her square in the chest, the bullet being where the pureblood's head should have been.  

On an adrenaline high, Maya pulled her gun and fired with one hand into the darkness, the other keeping Kuran's head down. She could hear the sound of retreating footsteps in the woods, but that wasn't part of her concern anymore. A deep hot pain was blooming in her chest, and she bent over, hand on her chest, dropping her gun. The bullet had been blessed, a special kind to kill vampires, but it could kill direwolves as well.