Prologue: Invisible Ties

Robin's POV

"This is not your — your fault... Promise me you'll escape from this place... Please, go..."

Chrom collapsed on to the ground. My love and my best friend, dead. With tears streaming from my eyes, look up at Validar, my father.

"DAMN YOU, VALIDAR!" With thoron in my hand, I killed him. Just to make sure, I shot him multiple times, letting my anger and grief. When I was emotionally exhausted, I walked over to Chrom, only for the tears to start again.

I sat down and put his head on my lap. I screamed and hugged Chrom. 'How could I let this happen? My world is crumbling. Everyone I love is no long safe. I must leave them behind. But first...'

I picked up Chrom and put him in a safe place for the time being. I took Falchion and put it in my bag. Lastly, I kissed his forehead for the last time.

I left the Dragon's Table behind me and headed for Ylisstol. The Ylissian capital, once a place I called home, was now a cruel reminder of what I can never have. I sighed and walked through the gate.

It was deep into the night. You could a pin drop. I creeped through the halls of the castle. I first went to the throne room. I quietly closed the door. "Whhoo'ss therrreee?"

I jumped. The frightened, young voice belonged to no one other than my own daughter, Lucina. She spoke pretty well for a three year-old, but her high-pitched voice made you look past that fact.

"What are you doing up, my little Lucina?" I asked. I walked toward the throne and saw the little blue-haired girl sitting on a throne that overshadowed her. I smiled at her in her white nightgown.

"I couldn't shweep." (Her speech at this age was so adorable). "Is that Papa's Stick?" Pointing at Falchion.

Not knowing what to say, I replied, "Yes, he left it behind, so I was taking it back for him."

"Okay. I tired now." And right there, she felt asleep. I smiled as the tears came back. 'My eldest child is inheriting the worst world possible and it's all my fault. At least, she doesn't know yet. Her world is still bright.'

I left her in there for the guards to find her and take her to her room. I walked down to the next destination. I went in and saw my twins in their crib. They were inseparable.

They both had the brand of Grima, not the brand of the exalt. "I have to protect them from Grima and myself.  If they were to fall into Grima, I would never forgive myself."  I hugged them both tightly and kissed them on the cheek. 

"Goodbye, my dear children."  I turned and walked out before I cried again. 

Lastly, I needed to leave Lissa letters for her and the children.  I walked to my study and wrote them up.  I walked to Lissa's room and left the letters on her desk along with a book on the dragons of the Archanean Era dragons.  I looked over to Lissa.  Little Owain was asleep in between Lissa and Lon'qu.  Soon, the happy look on their faces will wash away.

I left through the secret hole in the wall and headed away from Ylisstol.  It would be the last time I saw it at peace.

—————

The next morning
Lissa's POV

I was exhausted.  Owain had kept me up into the night and he finally fell asleep soon after midnight.  Lon'qu is lucky.  He is a deep sleeper, so he didn't have to Owain whining and crying.

I got out of bed, yawning and rubbing my eyes.  Lon'qu had already started his day and was taking care of Owain.  I went to the closet when caught my eye.  A letter on the table.  But it wasn't just one letter, it was multiple.  One for me, one for Lucina, and the last one for Morgan and Alex.  The handwriting looked like Robin's messy writing but worse than normal, like she was shaking.

I opened my letter, but then, my world stopped.  It read:

Dear Lissa,
I don't know how to tell you, but Chrom is dead.  He died in my arms.  He told me to tell you to be strong.  He also told me to protect everyone and to stop the looming threat that killed him.  Because of that, I fear that I will have prepare and kill it myself.  I most likely won't return for a little while, but there is a high chance that I will die.  But, if I protecting Ylisse, I can die happy. 
Also, you need to train Lucina how to be an exalt.  For the time being, you will need to fill in for her.  Let her exalt at age 9.  Give her the letter with her name on it at the same time.  Same with Morgan and Alex.  Give them their letter at age 9.  Train all three of them to fight.
Finally, I am in trusting Lucina, Morgan, and Alex into your care.  They need to grow in a family.  Please, don't them know that there is a danger.
With love,
Robin

My heart was trembling.  I read the letter over and over again, trying to figure what I read but it was right in front of my eyes. 

But I couldn't believe it.

—————
And thus begins the story of Morgan and Alex.  What will the royal family do in the face of danger?  What will Robin do to hold off Grima?