What's Coming?

"Why believe in god when you are no longer afraid of what's coming?"

The rhetorical question once opened up Kajal's shackled mind. It was a weird trick which solved all the riddles of her human life when she was made a vampire. Kajal used to be a pure Brahman Kanya whose blood was meant to be a part of the Indian gods and goddesses. But when her Maker mother and father tossed that particular question mark onto her bosom, she found a way to deal with immortality.

A hundred and thirty-three years were like a silver ball rolling in the sunlight; her life rolled on, shining though darkly and moving smoothly forward. But now, after these years, nature suddenly betryed her. The question seemed to her unrooted, empty and worthless.

The shadow was outside her room, lurking and sniffing around to find her trace. She knew what was coming and she felt scared to the heart if there was any. Her white fangs contrasting brightly against the black surrounding appeared when she heard footsteps growing nearer and nearer.

The beast within her opened its red eyes.

It was a sunny morning; the basement where she was sleeping was a contrary to the outside world: cold and dark like her life. Her hunter seemed to choose the daylight and their weakness to hunt. She thought it was underrated; a war was meant to be equal. But now a days, equality seemed rare....almost extinct.

Kajal could sense the huge, bulky and strong appearance of the predator. She listened to her praying to her past gods. And all the teachings of her
Makers went lost and blank.

If she could breathe, she would be suffocating by now because of the way she pressed her mouth with her hands.

The thumping steps became closer and closer until they hit her coffin. Kajal closed her eyes tightly; her muscles were weak. She was afraid. But before he could open the lid, her Maker mother shouted a battle cry before lounging on the predator with her long, pointy fangs.

With the keen five senses she had, Kajal could see what was happening without even peeking outside. She lied there stiffly and continued imagining the destructing scenario outside.

The wolf like man brought his right arm to the vampire on his back and clutched its cloth tightly. She tried to escape his strong grasp but couldn't, not when the sun was up. He clasped her and threw her down, feet away from the coffin.

Then he was up for the lid again. Kajal's Maker father wouldn't let it happen when he was still alive. He ran towards the stranger and jumped on his back before targeting his neck. He could feel the blood coursing through the predator's veins.

But the huge man wouldn't take it. He started walking backwards...suddenly Kajal's father was crushed against the wall of their basement. That was how the predator got rid of them.

Kajal couldn't let her Makers die, not when she was still fresh and young. They had lived for hundreds and hundreds of years; they were old and strong. They deserved to live, she thought dearly.

She guessed what the hunter wanted or rather whom he wanted. It was her. She was lost in her dilemma when her ears caught a begging cry of her mother.

"Don't kill us when it is day. Don't kill her, please," She said.

"You were an actress, weren't you?" the predator asked. Kajal knew he had a masked on because all his words came out muffled and inaudible.

"No, please don't slay us. You're more capable than murder. It is murder. You will be a murderer," Her father spoke this time.

Kajal could imagine them crouching at a corner and writhing with pain. The pain which the hunter had caused them. Kajal's dead blood boiled with hatred and rage. But before she decided to open the lid and show herself, the hunter opened his mouth,