Chapter 3: A Try at Normal

Beginne am Anfang

Kaito and Maya pulled their guns out, checking to see if they had a full clip, both of them carrying at least two extras stuffed in their hunter coats although they were seldom to be used.  Every shot counted, and with Hunter's amazing ability of hand to hand combat and weapons training, along with Maya's ability to use her own fangs and claws, there was never a bullet wasted.

They entered the front door of the factory, and Maya inwardly grimaced as the rusted metal squeaked a little too loud.

"Should we stick together or split up?" She asked, keeping her voice at a whisper.

He seemed to battle between the two choices for a moment, knowing that she was fully capable of handling a Level E by herself, but this was their brother. Emotion over thought was dangerous. "Together." 

She gave a nod and they searched one side of the factory and then went onto another. Her keen hearing was picking up nothing at the moment, and the smell of Level E's and decaying brick battled with each other.

"How did they know it was Jax?" She asked as they wandered back down a hallway they had previously checked.

"That's what I was thinking. I called a buddy of mine who works the late shifts at the Association and asked him to do some digging. He went through a couple of files and told me there were some security footage stills that were in one of the folders. All of them were of Jax in this area. It seemed that the Association was keeping an eye on him...of sorts." His face grew angry. "I'm just pissed that the President didn't tell us sooner. I could have talked some sense into him to get his ass back here to get help."

Maya froze, grabbing Kaito's arm with a hand when a low thud sounded above us. It was followed by even louder thud further down the hallway. "He's upstairs..."

They ran up the stairs and into a huge room on the third floor, the windows boarded up so that there was little light to see practically anything. It was filled with rusted old equipment that had been integrated into the building. Any other free-standing machine in the room was long gone, but there was no sign of Jax.

"Where'd he go?" She asked.

"You have wolf ears, you tell me," Kaito replied, looking around the room. He started backward towards another staircase at the opposite end of the room. "Stay here. I'll see if I can chase him back up here then we can cut him off. You good?"

"I'm good."

With that, Kaito was gone and Maya was left alone. Backing up towards the far wall and stopping, she kept eyes and ears on both staircases. A slight commotion coming from the staircase that Kaito had disappeared into drew her attention and she began walking forward. Suddenly, something punched through the floor and grabbed her ankle, causing her to fall forward and her gun, Bloody Fang, to fall from her grasp, spinning along the floor with a clatter and stopped just out of her reach.

Looking over her shoulder expecting to see Jax, her breath caught in her throat when she saw it wasn't. The Level E was holding onto one of her feet with an iron grip, pulling her back away from her gun as she tried to reach for it. 

"Now, now...Don't struggle..."  It purred. Maya turned on her side and scooted down, kicking the vampire in the arm and heard a satisfying pop as the elbow joint dislocated. The Level E gave a snarling cry, letting go and giving the perfect opportunity for her to scramble to her feet and run towards her gun.

But, she was hit full force from behind, her gun kicked away by the Level E as they both tumbled to the floor. She found herself pinned on her back, staring up at the Level E, whose eyes were blazing red, full of hunger and madness. Elongated fangs gleamed in the dim light, dripping with saliva. Fear set deep and firm while they struggled, but she began to panic more when claws dug into the soft skin of her throat, drawing blood.