Meryl nodded; as she felt for him. She had been on his side of things before and she knew how awful and absolutely terrifying it was to see your life partner and love of your life like that. "I know, baby; but you made sure I got the best care and I am so much better."

"Yeah." Don agreed; somewhat weakly.

Meryl knew that didn't exactly calm him down or make him feel better. "Babe, the judge has the report from Hal saying if I'm in distress then I need to be pulled from the stand. You, Mike and Larry won't let it get to the point of where I am having some sort of an attack. Besides, we know when Mike is questioning me that he won't get me that worked up."

"Yeah; but Lee." Don began. "You know that he's going to try to make you doubt me; that he is going to manipulate things and make you think..."

That's what this was about. Meryl knew he was insecure because of his brain trauma but she never thought he would think THAT. She couldn't bear to hear anymore; or bear to have him think that any longer so she crushed her lips to his; needing him to feel her as much as possible. Once they eventually needed to break for air she leaned her forehead to his. "Nothing ANYONE could ever say or do could EVER make me doubt you; and I would NEVER let ANYONE manipulate things to come between us. I know EVERYTHING he will try to say and do will be a fucking lie."

"I know you will know that." Don gave her a small smile. "I'm sorry; I don't know what the hell is wrong with me."

Meryl sighed as she gave him one more kiss. "You have been through hell; and please baby, stop apologizing. We are in this together."

"Every single step of the way." Don agreed as he kissed her lips this time. "Until the very end."

Maggie walked in at just that moment. "Kids? It's time..."

***

"Mrs. Gummer." Mike began once Meryl had been sworn in. "Please tell us about the day of your husband's accident."

Meryl looked at Don who winked at her; just seeing those gorgeous blue eyes filled with love for her gave Meryl what she needed to relive that awful day. "We went out to our home in Mason's Island, Connecticut to have some relaxing time with our babies while our other kids were scattered around the country and working. It started out as a wonderful lazy day. We had a lazy morning with our babies and then even introduced them to the snow as the snow storm began over night. Then Don built us a fire and he and I fell asleep on the couch. I woke up later hearing loud voices in our entry way and I went to see what was going on. I saw 3 out of our 4 older kids along with our daughter-in-law and granddaughter; but Don was gone. I found out they were particularly awful to him; accusing him of not protecting me and the babies which was SO FAR off base."

"Why would they do that?" Mike asked.

Meryl sighed. "Some things happened with my brother and Don was taking legal actions to protect me and the babies from my brother; however, we decided not to tell the kids what happened and they found out from their cousins. They thought that because we didn't tell them that Don was trying to control those situations. What I have since found out from them is they KNOW they have the best father in the whole damn world; and when things are different than how they think they should be they are worried about losing him and their fear comes out in the ABSOLUTE wrong way. This is what happened here. When I found out how awful they were and how Don wanted to know as soon as I woke up I wanted to go find him but couldn't drive; so our daughter-in-law, Suzie, said she would drive me and the babies along with her and Henry's daughter. I tried calling Don when we left but couldn't get ahold of him; that was when I knew something was wrong."

"Why did you think that?" Mike asked; yet, knowing why.

Meryl gave Don a watery smile. "I know my husband; he was worried about us, and told our daughter-in-law to immediately call him if the babies or I needed anything and when I woke up. If he wasn't answering then something was wrong. So, we went looking for him. I didn't know where to go so we drove to all the places I could think of; and that's when I saw it."