Chapter 53

Meryl didn't let go of Don's hand as he was transported to his private room. Then they were reunited with their babies. Don tearfully took his babies in his arms; filled with the memory of them being being born still fresh in his mind. Don and Meryl told Liz and Larry how much they appreciated their support and help; they knew thank you wasn't enough. Liz and Larry reminded them that they were all family; and that's what family was for. Don and Meryl finally got Liz and Larry to go home and rest. Meryl ordered Don's favorite soup and sandwich, as well as hers, to be delivered for dinner. They also called their kids as well as Don's parents to fill them in. She then sent a text to Third, Maeve and Mary; not having the energy to call anyone else and she wanted to focus on Don and the babies. Meryl told Don she wanted him to rest as much as possible; and she told him the same thing. Despite his surgery, and Meryl getting stitches, they had a nice night enjoying one another and their babies; even from their double hospital bed.

***

Meryl stirred when she heard Margaret fussing. She looked over and Don was still sleeping, thankfully. She quickly got up and got Margaret. "There's Mommy and Daddy's precious, girl; you are always my hungry one." Meryl whispered with a kiss to Margaret's head as she carefully got back in bed and fed her. "Mommy needed this as much as you did; I missed feeding you and your brother." Meryl quietly talked to her daughter. "Mommy doesn't like it when you take a bottle; other then when Daddy wants to feed you. I want to be able to do this for as long as possible; my surprise girl." While Meryl nursed Margaret she couldn't help but hold her husband's hand in his sleep; having missed that contact with him while she nursed. Once Margaret was done Meryl tiredly burped and changed her; then almost on cue, Bradley started crying. Meryl didn't even bother to refasten her bra cup or button her nursing pajama top. She picked up Bradley and kissed him. "You didn't want to be left out; huh, big boy? Aunt Liz said you didn't seem to like the bottle. Let's see if you will eat this way, I hope so. I'm so proud of you and your sister for being so good these past couple days." Meryl whispered as she laid him on the bed and then got in next to her husband; not knowing Don was awake. "That's what you wanted, buddy; huh?"

Don smirked when he saw his wife's boob hanging out. "He's not the only one.; they better learn to share pretty soon. Those are mine."

"Don." Meryl laughed as she leaned over and kissed him. "Did we wake you? I'm so sorry; maybe I should take them home..."

Don silenced her with a kiss. "Don't you dare! I'm glad I woke up when I did." Don whispered with a kiss to her breast. "I've missed this."

"Me too." Meryl choked; and she wasn't just thinking of him being awake when she nursed; she was also thinking about the comment he made. She knew he was often horny on strong medications; but it was also proof to her he was still her Don Man. She thought back to 26 years earlier when he made a similar joke.

***

It was the middle of July in 1986. The Gummers were in New York while their home in Connecticut was undergoing updates before they moved out there permanently in a few months. Don and Meryl had fallen into a good routine with 3 children; and Grace was an incredibly easy baby despite her abrupt entrance into the world. Everything was going great except that Don had come down with a summer cold. Meryl had offered to sleep in the guest bedroom with Grace; but Don wouldn't hear of it. Even though he was trying not to hold her or love on Grace, which was extremely hard on him, because of his cold; he still wanted his wife and daughter in the room with him. Meryl agreed but only if he would take NyQuil in order to feel better and get some rest. Don was hesitant to take anything because he didn't want to be knocked out with an infant in the house but he finally conceded at the urging of his wife. Meryl woke up when she heard Grace crying for her midnight feeding. She immediately tended to her daughter so she didn't wake up her husband; but he was awake. Don groaned when he saw her bend over the bassinet giving him a view of her lace covered ass when the shirt she was sleeping in rode up from bending over the bassinet and changing Grace's diaper. "You have such a great ass; so firm."