Chapter 82

The next morning Don and Meryl were ready to leave for the courthouse with his parents, and the babies; but there was one thing Meryl wanted to do first. She smiled as she walked out of the bedroom and saw him sitting on the edge of the bed in his suit, looking as handsome as ever, playing with their babies in the stroller. She reached in the pocket of her dress she was wearing and went over to him; moving the stroller slightly to the side, bending down on one knee catching her husband totally off guard. "Darl, are you okay? You're going to hurt yourself.

"I won't be okay until I say what I have to say." Meryl was already fighting back tears as she kissed his maimed leg. "Over 34 years ago you asked me to share in this life with you; I had never been happier than when you wanted me to be your wife and partner and lover for the rest of your life. However, every day for the past 34 years you have made me happier than I ever thought was possible. I know I saw this all the time but you really are my home, you are EVERYTHING to me. So are our children; but they are also wrapped up in you. When I saw your lifeless body in that car..." Meryl trailed off as she saw tears streaming down his face. "I lost my breath in that instant; but you came back to me, you came back to us."

Don was struggling to find his voice. "You brought me back, baby. Though I know I'm not completely your Don..."

"YES, you are." Meryl leaned up and pressed her lips to his, fiercely. "We are more in love and closer than ever before; you are going to get your memories back, baby. We are going to get your memories back. You are such an amazing father not only to our kids, but to these babies that I know came as a shock."

Don laughed as he looked over at the stroller. "Two amazing gifts we never knew we needed."

"That's right." Meryl smiled at him. "Just when I felt like I was getting you back they cut your wedding ring off you; and I was distraught. I know how much your ring means to you; just as mine does to me. No matter how many rings you give me; I always want my original because it is a symbol to me of all we have gone through together. I felt like I lost a piece of you when they cut it off."

Don shook his head as he looked down at his bare finger; he hoped him not having a ring at the moment didn't put any doubts in her "Never; we just haven't had time to do anything about it. However, just because I'm not currently wearing a ring doesn't mean I am any less yours. I have been yours since the day I walked into that little screening room."

"Just as I have been yours; but maybe this will help." Meryl reached into the pocket of her dress and pulled out the small box, opening it. "I thought about waiting until we renew our vows to give it to you; but you are always asking me to marry you so I thought it was my turn."

Don looked at her in awe. "Baby?"

"I love you, Donald Gummer; my God I love you so damn much. Our commitment to one another, and love for each other, grows deeper and deeper every damn day. I need you like air. You are the linchpin in my life; and in our family. I have no idea what I did right in this life to get you; but thank God I did. I feel like it is a new beginning for us with these babies." Meryl's tears streamed down her cheeks and mixed with his as they dropped on their clasped hands. "I will spend everyday of our life together loving you and adoring you and cherishing you."

Don wiped her tears from her face. "You have, baby; and you do. I love you more than you will ever know."

"What do you say, Gummer?" Meryl choked. "Want to marry me...AGAIN?"

Don laughed as she put the band on his finger and he pulled her head to his. "I would marry you every damn day of my life. I love you so much."

"I was a little worried." Meryl teased as he crushed his lips to hers; and he pulled her on top of him as he fell back on the bed. "You are my everything; thank you for coming back to me."