I take out my phone and go to text Dominic before I stop myself. I can't do that. Exhaling nervously, I go downstairs and pace around. My eyes fall on the key bowl near the door. The minivan is still here. I shake my head as I dismiss the idea of driving. I don't have my license. What if I get pulled over? I contemplate calling my parents but decide against it. The last thing I want is to ruin their New Years. I swear loudly and grab the keys. I have to go get her before the drunk drivers come out.

I start my mom's car and say a quiet prayer as I head out on the road. I've never driven at night and I've never driven alone. My heart beats out of my chest as I pull up to a stop sign. An officer appears and offers me a smile as we stop at the same intersection. I continue driving and I suddenly realize that Raven is home, which means that she's going to be at this party. If she's there, then the old baseball team is definitely there. If that's the case, then Dominic is going to be there. I swallow nervously as I think about having to see him. Maybe he won't be there; maybe he stayed home tonight. Or maybe he's locked in a room with Raven somewhere making her lucky number 15. I shove those thoughts to the back of my mind. My only goal is to get my sister and get home.

By the time I reach the house, I almost blacked out five times from anxiety. I park the car and head inside the bustling home. As soon as I enter I see an assortment of people and am hit with memories of high school. I see recent graduates and current high school students mingling in the living room and people hooking up in the hallway.

I spot a familiar face and approach him. "Jack!" His eyes land on me and a look of confusion overtakes his face.

"What are you doing here?" He glances behind me eagerly and I draw his attention back to me.

"I'm looking for my sister. Have you seen her?" He shakes his head as he squints in thought.

"No... How did you get here? Did you come with Dominic? Is he here?" Again, he peers behind me curiously and I sigh.

"No, I didn't. I drove," I answer and his eye widen substantially. On that note, I wave to Jack and look around for my sister's friends. I search for a while before I see one of the juniors my sister hangs out with. I approach her urgently and can barely make out her name. My sister has a lot of friends; it's hard to keep up.

"Yes?" She holds a drink in her manicured hand.

"Where's Maritza?" I don't bother explaining who I am or what I want.

"I don't know. She was with Ricky last time I saw her." The girl gives me a careless shrug and I want to sigh.

"Well, when was that?" I follow up.

"I don't know...like, a half hour ago." She gives me an irritated glance and I don't even bother thanking her. It feels like forever as I gaze upon all the vaguely familiar faces. In reality, it takes me ten minutes to find her best friend Nala, who's standing in the corner flirting with a random boy.

"Where's Maritza?" Her eyes widen when she sees me.

"She's outside," she confesses. I hurriedly leave the house and search the yard. Just dancing teenagers. I go around the side of the house and find a bunch of parked cars. Just as I'm about to call her phone, I see my little sister getting out of Ricky's truck. She fixes her shirt and looks around to see if anyone noticed her getting out of the steamy vehicle. When her eyes land on me, they  double in size and she grimaces.

"Come on, we're going home." I don't bother trying not to embarrass her.

"Nova," she whispers, "come on, be chill. Please?"

"We're going home." She exhales heavily.

She looks to Ricky. "Hey, I'll see you around."

"What? No New Year's Kiss?" he teases as he leans against his car. I want to scowl. I'm pretty sure he just got a lot more than a kiss from my little sister.