15: You Have My Number

It's been a week since I accidentally hurt Dominic's feelings with the entire kiss misunderstanding. I've made attempts at hanging out with Kat in hopes of potentially hearing more of her theories about him but she hasn't been free until today. She picks me up at my dorm so we can go get these cool hot chocolate milkshakes from a nearby smoothie place.

"Hey," she greets me and I smile happily at her.

We make small talk for the ride, asking about each other's day and going in depth about little things that don't actually matter. We arrive at the smoothie place and I get the hot chocolate milkshake. Just as I expected, it tastes pretty good. I look around the restaurant with a wondrous gaze. It looks like it's cut right out of an 80's film. It's an older style diner with laminated checker menus and marble tables. The only thing missing is waitresses with mini-skirt uniforms and roller-skates.

"How'd you find out about this place?" I continue to look around.

"I was here on a date last night." This gets a look of satisfied surprise from me.

"Really? How was it?" I was not aware she went on a date.

"It was actually a lot of fun! He's cute and funny! And he has horses, too! But I'm talking to six guys right now so who knows how much cooler the others could be?" She seems elated at her solid dating life.

"Jeez, must be nice." Except, that's not really what I want. "Meanwhile I can barely do anything right with the one guy I've liked for years."

"That's different though. He's your best friend so it makes things a bit harder." That's a fair explanation.

"You're not wrong about that..." I shake my head as I think about how much things have changed in my life these last few weeks.

"So have you told him yet?" I give her a confused look. What is she talking about? Does she know me at all?

I clear my throat. "Excuse me?"

"You were so persistent that we hang out so I assumed you had something important to tell me. So did you tell him?" I purse my lips as I noisily sip my drink.

"Actually..." I slowly lead into the story about the events of the other night.

"So he dropped everything and raced to your dorm just to kiss you and you still don't know whether or not he likes you?" Well when you put it like that...

"He always makes jokes about kissing me." Now I just sound worse. "So I don't think it's that big of a deal. Plus he hasn't gotten any action in a while so maybe he's just desperate."

"He always talks about wanting to kiss you but you don't think he likes you?" I purse my lips and offer up a shrug.

"He's just that kind of friend."

"I don't know about you but I wouldn't rush anywhere to kiss anyone, especially not my best friend," she whispers before chuckling to herself. "Well, I do know about you."

"He's just that kind of friend." I wave it off and she scoffs.

"Then if he's that kind of friend, I don't think it'd be weird if you told him you like him." I swallow nervously.

"I don't know..." There's a lot more that comes with a confession than harmless flirting.

"Look, just think about it, you don't have to do it just yet. He doesn't seem to be going anywhere."

"I don't think I could bring myself to say the words," I admit, which earns a playful smirk from her.

"Then maybe you can just kiss him and that'll get him thinking." Her tone is playful but I know she is an advocate for such behavior.