19: My Gift to You

Dominic and I make plans to hang out on Christmas Eve to exchange gifts. Our plans aren't until 8PM because of a big family dinner he has to go to so I spend most of my day with my little sister, talking about school and drama she's been going through.

"So he told me he likes me but doesn't want a relationship. Yet he's willing to do everything in a relationship except have the label of my boyfriend." My sister has been opening up to me about her new beau.

"Drop him," I encourage her. "He doesn't want to commit."

"Yeah, I know. He's just so cute." I feel that, Mari.

"Don't I know..." My phone vibrates and I read the message.

Dominic: I'm almost there.

"Where are you guys going?" She glances at the device in my hands.

"The park." It's our old hang-out spot.

"The old one by the lake?" That's the one.

"Yes."

I hear a loud beeping outside and my sister grins at me. "Don't do anything I wouldn't do," she grins cheekily, "so that sets the bar pretty low."

"Shut up, Mar." I let out a laugh as I stand up.

"You look cute," she compliments. She helped me pick out the outfit so of course she'd say that. A red sweater dress with leggings underneath and ankle boots. She insisted that I opt out of the leggings in case I wanted to make some 'bad decisions.' I swiftly ignored that comment and put them on.

"Thanks." I grab my purse and head towards the door.

"Tell me everything when you get back," she calls as I leave the house.

"Sure thing!" I rush to his car, ready to escape the cold. I get in and he grins at me.

"You look cute, like always," he comments as he pulls off from the front of my house and heads in the direction of the park.

"Thank you." I attempt to inconspicuously assess his outfit. His gray sweater falls on his body nicely and his jeans fit like they were made for him. I can already guess which shoes he's wearing with his outfit based on the color scheme: his black Timberland boots or his gray and black huaraches. "You do, too."

"Thanks. Look in the back." 

He clicks on the light and I glance back and see a small white bag on the seat. By the pretty silver gift paper sticking out, I can tell that it was definitely put together by his mom. "Can I open it now?" I attempt to reach for it but his yelling stops me.

"No! We're almost there, wait." I retract and hold up my hands defensively.

"Ugh, fine," I huff as I sit back in the seat.

"Did you eat?" I repress the urge to smile. How sweet of him to think about that.

"Yes."

"Just making sure," he says with a playful grin on his face. "I wasn't going to get you food. I just genuinely wanted to see if you ate or not."

"You're a joke." I laugh regardless.

We reach the playground and park in our usual spot. He turns the light back on, unbuckles his seatbelt, and reaches into the backseat. In the meantime, I take his soda out of the cup holder and take a long sip. He watches me finish off the drink and shakes his head. "You asked if I was hungry, not thirsty." I return the drink to the cup holder and smile at him.

"We all know you're thirsty," he sighs as he places the gift bag on my lap. I lightly slap his arm before slipping my hand into my purse and retrieving the red envelope. I hold it out for him and he accepts it with a curious look in his eyes.