After a while, what was supposed to be a small image of the windmill was now looming over them, big and captivating. It was attached to a two-story house, was color brown like the rest of the structure, was expelling a strong gust of wind that made the grass all over the place dance as if they were alive.

Mr. Morris pointed his thumb to the door. "I know we haven't started in the right foot, kids. But trust me when I say, there's no danger inside."

Nyx's reaction was a loud snort. "I'll believe it when I see it," she said. "No offense, but I think we need some sort of reassurance."

At this, the old man tilted his head, invited them with his hands. "You can put your weapon on my back then. I don't mind. As long as it's not on my wound."

"Sure."

Vera didn't know how to feel when Nyx went to Mr. Morris, pushed the stake on the man's lower back, came forward so the two of them were heading straight for the house. This is all wrong, Vera thought. And yet she and Nyx shouldn't be too naive. They were only being careful after what happened.

The Price stopped just before she entered the house. "Don't go in just yet," she told Vera. "I'll yell when it's all clear. Please trust me."

Both she and Mr. Morris disappeared inside.

Vera had to wait for a grueling half a minute before the confirmation was given. It was just a simple, "Come in," from Nyx, but somehow it was like a rope in the ocean being thrown to her. She hurried to follow them.

Chicken soup. That was what she smelled first upon entering the house; a mouth-watering chicken soup. And looking about, Vera saw Nyx seated on a couch, the old man sitting right beside her.

"Please join us," Mr. Morris said gently, motioning to the plaid sofa opposite them. "As you can see, there's no danger here, no other men pointing guns at you. It will stay that way as long as you are here. Feel free to treat my house as yours."

Easier said than done, Vera thought as she stumbled to the sofa. There were many things that could go wrong. Her distrust had never faltered, not for one second.

But—

She gave Nyx a brief glance. The Price was looking all over the country-styled interior, was silent in her observance. Vera had no doubt that the woman would protect them when the going gets tough. If her distrust had never faltered, why was she thinking like this?

"There you are!" someone exclaimed.

Vera quickly abandoned her current thoughts in favor of the person approaching them in the brightly-colored living room. Was surprised to see a woman, about the same age as Mr. Morris, albeit not as disgruntled looking as the man. In fact, her flowery dress was presentable. The only problem was she was holding a butcher knife.

Nyx jumped up, to be quickly pulled down again by the man beside her. "Dear!" Mr. Morris said, looking at the woman nervously.

"Where had you been?"

"A-around."

"You've been snooping again haven't you?" The woman lowered her knife. Fixed her brown, almost salt-and-pepper hair, she only noticed Vera and Nyx. "Huh? Who are these children?"

"Ma'am, I'm hardly a child," Nyx was quick to say. "You should see my lady parts. They're—"

"They're our staff," Mr. Morris cut-off, so loud that everything else drowned out. Vera and Nyx gaped at him, noticed that his breathing was labored. But the man didn't seem to notice as he explained. "They're the staff I've been promising you, Greta. These two girls had come here to work for us."