Chapter 7

We had spent the last few hours setting up the rest of the haunted house. After we finished, Candice and I changed into pants and sweaters. It was getting cold out and we were just taking tickets, so we didn't have to be in costumes.

"I can't believe your sister went through all of that and kept it a secret." Candice says to me as we walk back to the barn where the house was being set up.

"Neither can I. From what I've seen though, neither Veronica or Chace are into hardcore drugs like that. They just do the normal stuff, drinking and smoking pot." I say.

"Yeah, but they're sixteen and seventeen. We are turning fifteen in two weeks. We're still kind of young." Candice says to me.

"Yeah I know. It's weird to think the first time we've ever gotten drunk was when we were fourteen." I admit.

"We got stoned too." Candice adds.

"Oh did we? I don't remember much from last night." I tell her.

"Don't tell your mom that." She laughs. I laugh with her because it was totally true.

"Can I tell you something?" I ask her.

"Sure, what's up?"

"I think I'm starting to like Chace. He's texted me a couple of times but I never texted him back. But ever since last week at the costume shop, I don't know, I just can't get him out of my mind. The thing is though, is that he's with Chelsey, but I don't think he cares." I explain.

"Their relationship is an open one. Why would he care?" Candice asks.

"Well I mean this morning I woke up with his arm wrapped around my waist, and then last night he said that we had a competition, and also he told me after we dropped you off that he would always protect me."

"Maybe he likes you too?" Candice suggests. I shake my head no.

"Why would he like me, a fourteen year old freshman, when he's fucking a seventeen year old senior?" I ask sarcastically. It was obvious who was more desirable.

"You'll be a fifteen year old freshman in two weeks. And I'll be a fifteen year old freshman in two weeks and one day." Candice says.

"Yeah, but the guy you like actually likes you back, and he's a junior." I tell her.

"Yeah, and he's best friends with the guy you like. We could work some magic. Plus, we've only known them for a week. We don't need to rush into anything. Neither of us do. We just need to be their friends." She tells me. I nod my head. We go into the back of her dad's car and grab the tickets, ticket jar, and money pouch. We start setting up the table for us to sit at. We were really excited about tonight. It was going to be good.

Georgie comes out in her costume, which was a pirate outfit. She looked really good. "So, what do you guys think?" She asks us waving her sword around.

"You look amazing!" I say to her. She does a little curtsy and then runs back inside the house to grab some stuff. People were starting to show up and walk around. It was such a cool event, all the games and music and what not. And it was all Candice's family who did this. Plus, all of the proceeds go to make a wish. It was officially dark and the haunted house had started. It was only an hour in but we heard people screaming and shouting and it sounded like a lot of fun.

"I'm going to go grab some food, do you want anything?" Candice asks me.

"Yeah get me a hot dog and a coke." I tell her. She nods her head and runs over to the food line. I scan the crowd for Chace because he said he was coming. I was really excited to see him for some reason.