"Charlotte Xavier, have you come to rescue me?" Erik asked. It had become his usual greeting.

Charlotte did not smile as usual. "Sorry, love. Not today." She replied as she wheeled over to the table.

Erik glanced at Charlotte curiously over his shoulder. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"The assassination attempt on the President." Charlotte replied. "What do you know about it?"

With Erik's back to Charlotte, she could see a scar at the nape of his neck, just below his hair. She wondered how long ago he had gotten it, if it was one of her students, one of her X-Men, who gave it to him...

Erik's response was quick and honest. "Nothing. Only what I read in the papers. You really shouldn't have to ask, Charlotte."

Charlotte met Erik's gaze and she could feel his sudden guilt and horror but nothing distinct. Concerned, Charlotte leaned forward in her wheelchair. "What's happened to you, Erik?"

"I've been getting recent visits from William Stryker." Erik replied grimly. "You remember him, don't you?"

Confused, Charlotte wheeled closer. "William Stryker?" She quietly repeated.

"His son, Jason, was once a student of yours, wasn't he?" Erik remembers.

Charlotte nodded. "Yes...years ago. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to help him. At least...not in the way his father wanted."

Erik stood and began pacing. "And you think taking in the Wolverine will make up for your failure with Stryker's son? You haven't told him about his past, have you?"

"I've put him on the path." Charlotte replied. "Logan's mind is still fragile..."

Erik snorted. "Is it? Or are you afraid of losing one of your precious X-Men, Liebling?" He gave Charlotte an urgent look. She looked to his mind in concern.

'Read me.' Erik thought to Charlotte.

Charlotte did.

Stryker—armed with some sort of serum that burned...his tongue loosening of its own volition...secrets spilling from his mouth ... information about his and her pasts ... even something slipped out about their little names for each other, 'love' and 'Liebling' ... the truth about Wanda and Pietro Maximoff's actual parentage... the truth about her mutation, her school, her power, her students ...the truth about that, too... and then her school...

"What have you done, Erik?" Charlotte said in horror.

Erik's grey eyes were regretful, horrified. "I'm sorry, Charlotte."

"What did you tell Stryker?" Charlotte asked.

Erik's reply was shaky. "Everything."

Charlotte clenched her eyes shut and curled her fists on the armrests as her breath caught in her throat. She did not look at Erik. "I must go immediately. If the school is at risk, there's no time to waste. Not with Stryker. I need to ready our security and defenses—"

"Charlotte." Erik said.

Reluctantly, Charlotte looked to Erik, guarded and torn. "Erik."

Erik stood and met Charlotte's eyes regretfully. "I'm sorry."

"I know." Charlotte said.

Erik stared at Charlotte with pained grey eyes. "I am, Liebling."

"I know." Charlotte repeated sharply, turning her chair to face the exit. "You said. I feel your regret, Erik. I know you well enough after these years...even without reading your mind. I know."