chapter eighteen: storytelling and a royal bedtime

"I've got this Ladybug. I'm a big girl, okay?" his expression doesn't change. His eyes are still darting from mine to Jonah who's minding his own business and sitting on the couch. We stood by the stairs and Lucien was as anxious as ever.

"You know I'll just be upstairs if you need absolutely anything than just call me. I'll be here in a second," I smile up at him as he holds my waist. I'm on my tippy toes as he leans down to peck my lips. "Oh and you always be my little girl, got it?"

"You got it dude. Now, go. I've got some catching up to do." I push on his torso so he'll move but he doesn't budge.

"I'll miss you Cara."

"You're just going upstairs but I'll miss you too, I always do."

He sighs. "Fine." He sneaks a sloppy kiss against my lips before finally walking up the stairs. I wave him goodbye even though I knew his intentions. He was going to use his wolf hearing to snoop into our conversation.

I place my hands in front of me as I nervously walk over to Jonah. He sets down one of the picture frames he was holding back onto the table in front of him. He claps his hands to break the awkwardness from the silence. I sit down closer to him. "So, where should we start?" He asks.

I decided not to beat around the bush. I wanted answers and I wanted them now. "Where did you go when we were little?"

"First, our parents left us with Nona when I was five and you were a newborn. Don't ask me why because I still don't know. I spent five years there, for you but it was just so isolating. We barely got to go outside and Nona was so strict. It was different for you since you were practically born there. I left when I was ten and it wasn't long before the wolves found me..."

"W-why did you leave me there?"

"I had to Cara. You were too young...I was too young. I didn't know what to do."

I suddenly find my fingers interesting as I look down into my lap. I wasn't sure what to say after that. Of course I'd want him to bring me but I understand. I also wasn't the most compliant child either. I didn't even know what to think of Nona now. I always thought of her as a caregiver but now who knows. She could've been holding me captive all those years.

"What happened when the wolves found you? Were they like my pack?"

"No, they weren't anything like your pack Cara. They were cold blooded killers turning the young before they were even ready so they could build an army. It was a nightmare." he tells me and I can see that he's imagining it in his mind. I grab his hand to sooth him.

"They turned you? Did you escape? Where did you go?" I don't mean to sound impatient but the questions just keep coming. I had to know.

"They turned me soon after they found me. The first two years were training and after they wanted us to destroy packs. I was lucky to find a group of boys who were planning an escape. We failed the few times but eventually when I was sixteen I made it out. Twelve of us left that night but it was only me and two other boys who survived," his voice cracks at the end. I assume that he knew the boys who died very well. I see a whirlwind of emotions in his eyes. He continues with reassurance in his voice. "I'm here now Cara. 6 years after I escaped."

"You are and I'm glad. How did you find me?"

"One of the wolves I used to travel with mentioned something about a short young girl traveling with the monster rogue, Killian. That's where it started. I knew it was a small chance but I had hope that I'd find you and I did."

I smile and he pulls me into a hug. When he pulls away he reaches behind him and pulls out Buttercup. "Who's this Cara?"

My face turns bright red. I take the stuffie from him and hold him in my lap. "This is Buttercup. Lucien bought him for me." he chuckles.

"Whatever happened to Mr. Boobear?"

"That's a long story as well. I guess I have some explaining to do also."

🌸

🌸

Jonah stayed and had dinner with us last night. Apparently Lucien was letting him become a pack member as long as he found a job that benefited our pack. Jonah knew exactly what he wanted to do and Lucien was hesitant at first. Jonah starts warrior training this week.

He left only minutes ago and now I was washing the dishes as Ladybug dry them. "You were really good today. Thank you for helping him."

Daddy grins as he opens the cabinet and places the glass plates inside. I turn off the water as step down from the step stool in front of the sink. My feet don't touch the ground and I yelp as I feel myself being lifted. I wrap my legs around his waist then put my hands behind his neck. "Oh yeah? Remember that it was all for you little one. Everything was for you." I giggle as he leans in and starts leaving me love bites on my neck.

My stomach starts to hurt from giggling so much. "Okay, okay. Princess bedtime ritual Daddy?"

"Yes a royal bedtime ritual is in order for my princess." I peck his lips and he pulls me back giving me a more passionate kiss. He then carries me upstairs and into his bedroom then the bathroom. He helps me out of my clothes then throws them in the laundry basket. He starts the water in the bath.

"Daddy, I gotta go get my duckies. I left them in my room." he mumbles and okay and reached for a towel that on the end of the tub. By the time he tries to hand me the towel I'm running to my room completely naked. I grab my three pick duckies from my toy chest and when I come back Daddy's arms are crossed in front of his chest.

I shyly look down as I throw the ducks in the bubbly water. He comes to pick me up and set me in the water. "Such a naughty little princess." he shakes his head. After my bath he helps me blow dry my hair and brush it through. Next he picks out my pj's. I braid my hair while he helps me into my onesie with cupcakes on it. He carries me towards his bed. I latch onto him and hold my head against his chest.

He tries to get me off and lay me on the bed but I refuse to let go. "It's time for the royal sleep miss princess."

"Uh, uh." I mumble.

"Does princess want her baba first?

"Uh, huh."

He manages to hold onto me as he grabs a baby blue pacifier from the nightstand. He pops it into my mouth and then lays me down on his bed. He pulls the covers over me and then leans down to kiss my forehead. I suck on the paci and let it soothe me.

He turns off the lamp on the bedside table and my moon nightlight lightly illuminates the room. "Daddy will be back in a little while. He's just going to go for a run." I grab his hand as he turns away from me. I sometimes had nightmares when he was away.

"Stay till fall asleep." I lisp through my paci. He nods and I scoot over as he climbs in with me. I lay my head against my big papa bear and close my eyes.