Love Makes You Stronger

Start from the beginning

"Fire Dragon Claw"

Kai noticed his father and immediately flew underneath him to let him ride on his back.

"What are you doing? You don't have enough magic for this, you'll die!", Kai yelled at his father.

"I could say the same about you.", Natsu replied.

"If I die it's not a big deal. I was never meant to exist in the first place.", Kai replied, glad that his father was not able to see his face, "I'm a creature born of pain and hate."

It was a feeling he had been fighting with ever since he had seen his father be raped by Tiamat disguised in Gray's body. The only reason he existed was because Tiamat had wanted to humiliate his father, to trap him into being with her so that she could lord it over Igneel, the dragon she had once loved. It was a messed up situation.

Igneel had brought him to the light and taught him everything he knew. He'd showed him who his father was and Kai had already basked in the great love and sacrifice that the dragon slayer was capable of, even if he didn't feel he deserved it. He wanted so much to claim that love for himself but there was also Tiamat. As much as he despised her he couldn't help but wonder what part of him she lay claim to. Would he have a darkness that was her contribution to the genetic muddle that had created him? Gray was probably the hardest of his parents to understand. Even though his body had been used he had not physically participated in Kai's creation but he selflessly insisted in laying claim to him all the same and Kai felt an immediate connection to him.

Natsu looked at Kai and was amused to hear him sounding so much like Gray already. Who knew gloominess was genetic, Natsu had thought it had taken Gray years to work himself to such levels.

"You're wrong about that, kid. It is very much a big deal. I'm not sure how you know anything about what happened but let me make one thing clear. It doesn't matter to me how you came to be. Gray and I both love you. Now, we're going to get out of this somehow but we need to find another way. I'll make you a deal. If you stop this nonsense, I'll back off too. Leave this to the other dragons."

"They're too weak. They won't be able to finish him. They can barely keep him off of us now.", Kai said, sad in the knowledge that the dragon's deaths were inevitable, "The only ones capable of taking him on now that Igneel is gone are Tiamat and maybe myself. I asked her for help but she refused, she just wanted me to go with her."

Natsu recognized the truth in Kai's words when he looked at the other dragons and saw that not only had their movements become sluggish but their faces had an air of defeat that was unmistakable. He looked down at Gray fighting to protect him from Silver and back at Acnologia's merciless attacks on his fellow Dragon Slayer's dying dragons and made the most difficult decision of his life.

He lamented that he and Gray had never had a chance. Ever since Tiamat had shown up their fate had been cast. He would have liked someday to replace the memory of his rape with the love of his mate but it was never meant to be. He would set him free if he could and he wished that someday Gray would find happiness again. He hoped that Gray would find it in his heart to forgive him.