Chapter 14 - Peace

Start from the beginning

"I know, and I love you too." He mumbled in return.

When Shawn pulls away, he leans forward and kisses her forehead. "So would you mind me asking what the deal between you and Cainan is?"

"The deal?" Her brows drop to a significant degree that forms a scowl.

"Well he kinda scared the shit out of me today and it's been long since someone was able to do that."

"What did he say?" She asks, trying not to crack up at Shawn being scared to death by Cainan.

He takes a moment to properly recollect his exact words to him this morning, "That life was too short to spend it hating the one you are supposed to love with all your heart. That I should take this opportunity and make the most of it because I may not have a second chance."

"Two things are going to happen if you choose to be a heartbroken coward. One; If she makes it knowing you didn't show up to show some support, she'll hate you and if she doesn't hate you, she would not love you anymore. Two; if she dies, how will you be able to live with yourself knowing that you were not with the woman you claim to love when she took her last breath all because you couldn't get over such a silly mistake. I'll tell you this, life is too short to spend it hating the one you are supposed to love with all your heart. I'd advise that you take this opportunity and make the most of it because you may not have a second chance. Don't be foolish."

These were the exact words Cainan told him, but he chooses to keep that to himself and cherish the moment he now has with her.

Tears well up in her eyes, "He said that?" She asks still in shock at the length Cainan has been going for her lately.

He smiles, "Yeah, and I'd be a fool to follow his advice."

..

When Cainan gets home, he walks into his room and takes off his clothes, before going into the bathroom to take a quick shower.

He spends a good amount of time, thinking about the happenings today. He knows it's wrong but he can't bring himself to stop thinking about Neriah. Of course, he thought about her always because she is his responsibility and she's been those ways for a while now, but he can't help the thought in his head.

He wished they had met in a different world or time, or maybe even under different circumstances then he wouldn't feel this bad about his want for her. He knows of his hatred towards her existed long before he found out about her condition and it isn't guilt that's brought this feeling out of him now, he has no idea what did. And what's strange is that he still can't wrap his finger around his feelings anymore.

Things were great when they both hated each other, at least that's what he wants to believe, but that changed a week ago after they both got over their hatred or phobia of each other and he talked to her and he discovered she was a loveable person and that was where the trouble started from. He couldn't stop himself from loving her smile or giggle or even her scowl and not seeing it as harmful at first, he never thought about distancing himself from her.

As much as he'd like to debate and argue it out with himself, he's slowly falling for her and it's terrifying to even him and he wishes to somehow stop himself but he can't stop himself around her.

That was why days ago he took it upon himself to talk to Shawn and make him come back to her. He wanted to see if somehow that'll make her happy and when he saw her happiness, he couldn't hold his own in.

Neriah has Shawn, she loves him and he would die for her and the last thing he'd want is to come between that. He just wishes there was something, a button he can pull or push to make this feeling go away.

Today she'd told him about her family back home in her state and why she'd fought to make a name for herself. She also stated how her father died trying to provide for his family and how the responsibility has been on her mom ever since.

Cainan had applauded her courage for wanting to start something for her family although she knew her time was not so much anymore. Neriah then told him she was scared of dying, not for her, but for what it'll do to them.

At that moment Cainan wanted to pull her closer and wrap his arms around her, but he couldn't because that would have raised questions from her he wasn't sure he had answers to.

Pulling out of his deep thoughts, he turns off the shower and wraps the towel around himself before stepping out of the room.

"How did your day go, my love?" Samantha asks, startling Cainan a little with her presence.

She looks radiant in her silver armless top and the black thigh-high skirt. Her hair is now a red curly style. He would have gotten distracted by her beauty if confusion hadn't taken the place of admiration in him.

About two weeks ago, Samantha travelled to Paris for a fashion week and according to what she told him, she was supposed to still be there until the next two weeks and so he is now startled by her rapturous appearance.

These past two weeks have been the most relieving weeks of Cainan's life and he has to admit that there gave much more peace within him in her absences than they've been in her presence. He didn't act as though he cared and he didn't feel like he was bonded to the lies he's kept on for so long.

A hypocrite is the last thing he wants to be, so he'll admit that what he's in today is partly his fault. He'd started a relationship with Samantha five because he wanted to show the world, especially Clara that he was no longer hoping for her return. He was kidding himself because he threw everything away the day Clara came back and told him she wasn't over him after a few years of being married to Hugo. Yes, he had gotten into the relationship with the wrong intentions, but how he stayed in it for the last three years is still a surprise to him and even when he had the chance to leave a few months ago, he chose to stay.

These past years, he had stayed because Samantha was more of a diversion when he was hooking up with Clara. He's no saint and he isn't proud of what he has done or how he's used her, but he's not sure for how long this is going to continue.

"Hey, I'm fine. What are you doing here? You're supposed to be—"

"In Paris, yeah, but the trip was cut short because I was lovesick." she gets up from the bed and walks up to him, kissing his surprised lips.

The last words hung in his memory, "Love..."

"Someone's not too glad to see me," she points out, her eyes so fixed on Cainan that he begins to feel disturbed.

"I'm glad you're back in one piece," he mutters, going over to his wardrobe and bringing out his pyjamas. He lays them out on the bed, takes off his towel and begins to put them on. When he notices her burning glare on him, he turns to her, "what's it now?"

"Who says that to someone they haven't seen in two weeks?!" she exclaims, walking over to him.

"I'm not ready for a fight with you Samantha," He tells her, pulling the grey trousers up to his waist.

"Sure, sure you can't exhaust your energy on this one because you've got some bitch filling out my position in the last two weeks and you think I didn't know that?" She explodes, her voice going to the highest pitch, causing his head to pound as a result.

When the voice stops, Cainan takes a moment to decipher everything she just said. "You have been following me?!"

"Because you certainly can't be trusted, and I was right to have done that," she defends her actions proudly.

Cainan heaves a deep sigh, "I'm sorry, Sam, I can't do this anymore, I should have said this a long time ago, but now is better than never. Samantha, I'm sorry, but we are done."

She scoffs and shakes her head, "No, no, no, we can't be done, you lying, cheating son of a bitch."

"I'm sorry, Samantha and you're right, I'm a lying cheating son of a bitch and that's why I can no longer do this." he apologizes again and puts on the pyjamas top.

"No you're not, but you will be." She vows with certainty and with that she walks to the bed where her bag is, picks it up and walks out of the room.