Watcher's Web Chapter 29

The front gates of the safe house opened with a creak, releasing many years of built-up rust. Silent figures streamed into the yard, pushing the caterpillar-like structure over the uneven pavement. Thick wooden wheels rumbled, each set of two with forked beams holding up a section of the cloth or hide that formed the tray of the vehicle. Flowers spilled over the edge of the cloth.

Ikay stood knee-deep in them, waving instructions. Her body sinewy and muscles corded, she wore nothing except a wreath of flowers on her head. Her tail waved free and snapped when things didn’t go to her satisfaction.

Energy hummed from within the tray of the cart. All night, a line of porters had streamed in carrying bags. They had come in through the back door, through the Pengali-known maze of alleys, drains, walls and doors, bringing the precious load that would revive the Exchange.

Jessica stood on the porch, her gaze straying to that small part of the street visible between the foliage. Where the hell was Daya?

She, Ikay and a few others couldn’t do this on their own. Yes, more females with avya had come in, and Jessica had spent most of the night teaching them how to blow up the glass beads, but Daya was the only one with any kind of real strength and he simply had to be there for the plan to succeed. However, he and Councillor Semisu had left to get the operator of the Exchange and had not come back.

They had not come back. The thought gnawed at her like so many rats. Now it was time was to go. Soon it would be light and the reason to continue with the parade would be gone: this night would be the last of the Bachelors festival.

The caterpillar stopped. Ikay called out. "Anmi, come."

"But Daya isn’t here."

"We find him … in street."

Jessica met Ikay’s eyes. What did she mean by that?

A shout sounded from the other side of the gate. Alla, waving her hands and snapping her tail. Hurry up.

Damn it. After one look down the empty street, Jessica crossed the yard and climbed on a massive wheel to heave herself into the cart. Sheesh—they could have chosen less obnoxious-smelling flowers. She sank through the thin layer onto a more solid footing. The pearls were warm under her and released a scent of hot stone. Jessica lay down and Ikay shovelled flowers over her. In amongst them, it was hard to breathe.

"Anmi?" A soft female voice.

Jessica lifted her head, but saw nothing but flowers. "Who are you?"

"The merchant’s daughter, Seleni." The girl she had helped at the dressmaker’s shop.

Jessica reached out in her mind and sensed the girl not far from her, similarly buried under a layer of flowers.

"My servant told me what you are going to do. I think I can help."

"Thanks." Jessica could say no more. She couldn’t bear if all was to fail now, if Barresh were overrun, if she fell into the hands of Miran and never saw her parents again, or if Daya was already in their hands and never got to know she expected his child.

A shout and a crack of a tail and the wagon started moving.

They rumbled along slowly. The Pengali beat their drums, clapped and sang. People yelled out in the houses they passed. Jessica didn’t dare look up, but sensed people joining them. They had to be Pengali. It was the middle of the night and everyone else would be asleep.

A harsh shout interrupted the music. The drumbeats and the singing stopped, leaving an eerie silence. Jessica pressed herself flat against the pearls, holding her breath.