Lost in Love (Prologue - Chapter 2) - @-Lieutenantfriendly

Lost in Love (Prologue - Chapter 2) by -Lieutenantfriendly

Reviewed by ESHurricane

----------------------

Overview

Lost in Love is a Teen Wolf fanfiction that centers around Sophia McCal and her life living amongst werewolves and the men that hunt them. One wolf is her twin brother, another her boyfriend, and the rest her friends. It is the sequel to Lost in Blue.

Full disclosure, I'm not familiar with Teen Wolf (the 2011 series), but the author asked me to focus on the relationship between the protagonist and main love interest, and the work is standalone enough that I was able to tell what was going on.

Cover/Title

I definitely dig the title, it's very dreamy and sets the feel very well. The insinuation that the characters are so deeply in love that they're lost in it is a powerful sentiment.

There are multiple covers inside of the Extras chapter, and I mentioned inline which one was my favourite.

The current one showcases the protagonist looking sultry in a white dress and black leather jacket. I like the font of the title, it definitely works with the feel of the book, and the tagline "Love is being happy in moments of struggle and misery" is powerful and foreboding. It shows me that there are going to be hurdles and trials for our protagonists and hopefully that love will conquer that. The only thing missing I think is the author's name, I'd like to see that on there.

The reason why my favourite cover is one of the ones in Extras is because it showcases both of the protagonists and a few other pictures insinuating love. I like the collage effect, but my favourite part of it is that it shows Sophia and Derek. I feel like a story so centered around a loving relationship should feature both parties, or if this is going to end up a love triangle situation, maybe even all three parties.

Summary/Description

The summary hooked me well, and gave me enough of a backstory that I didn't feel lost coming into this story without having read the prequel. I also really like how it ends with a question, because it drives the point home that there is conflict and a reason to get into the book.

Hook

There's a lot at the beginning of this book, with four separate chapters before the actual Prologue. There are lots of graphics and inspirational quotes that set up the story, but I'm going by the actual first line of the story as a hook. And while it's not the strongest sentence, the action definitely catches me.

The story opens with the god Artemis in a hurry, setting down her bow and arrow. I like this because it raises questions right off the bat. Why is she in a hurry? Why does she have her weapon, is it because she was in battle? Who is she fighting? I find all of these things intensely interesting and it makes me want to read on.

The Prologue was in third person POV, setting up the backstory of Sophia's heritage as a descendent of Artemis herself, and I really enjoyed it. I found the whole thing a great hook because it set up a really fantastical history. It also threw me for a bit of a loop because this is a werewolf book, and here I am reading about gods and their descendants. Definitely kept me on my toes, which I love in a novel!

Grammar/Structure

I addressed a few grammar issues inline, but I will summarize them here because I didn't want to snipe them all in the story comments. Here are a few things to keep an eye out for when editing: