Chapter 5- Questions

TOPH P.O.V.

     so tired.... *sigh* ..... geez i need to work out...

     Toph had made to the end of the allyway, and it seemed to lead out to the rest of the village, and some sort of market. After the long run, she decided to stop for a quick break before she tried to sneak out of the village.

     Nothing looks more guilty then some girl running full speed towards the exit of the village.

     She leaned her head back against the wooden fence, thinking about what had happppened between her and Gaara.

     I totolly should have kicked his butt fo grabbing me like that, even though I would have fallen to my death... okay that makes no sense, but GEEZ! Why didn't he let me go.... and why didn't I want him to let me go?...

     "Where are you going?" Toph jumped at the sudden voice breaking through her thoughts, and turned to see Gaara standing only a few feet away.

     "Geez! What are you doing, stalking me?" Toph started to run off when her stomach broke out into a long series of growls.

     Danggit...

     "Actually," Gaara began in his bored voice," I was just going to eat. You're wecome to come." And with that he walked off towards the market. Toph pouted, wanting him to stop for her, but he didn't even look back. This both angered and worried Toph. She was mad he wasn't paying any attention to her after what had just happened 10 seconds ago, but worried about being left behind by her only link to getting out of this crazy village.

      I know I'm going to regret this...

     So Toph caught up to Gaara, and followed close behind. They were halfway through the small market area when Toph began to notice that a lot of people were staring at her and Gaara. A little girl with cute blond hair suddenly appeared from the midst of the busy crowd, running into Tophs leg. The girl fell back and began to cry.

    OH NO! Now what did I do now?!

     In a slight panic Toph grabbed the little girls hand and helped her back up. The girl continued to cry, drawing more and more attention from stopping passerbys.

     Aw man! What do I have to do to get this girl to shut it?!

     Then Toph got an idea. She picked up a small pebble off the ground, and put it in her palm. The little girl was still crying, but began to quiet down as she watched the peeble curiously. At first it did nothing but as if someone had brought it to life, it began to roll around Tophs' hand. The girl watched in amazment as it moved smoothly off of Tophs hand and onto the ground. It drew a smiley face in the soil, making the girl laugh. It suddenly hopped back into Tophs hand, who then offered it to the little girl. The little girl giggled and took the pebble. Then from behind her, a stern looking woman wisked the girl away, the pebble being left behind.

    "Anabell!" The woman scolded, "Havn't I told you before to stay away from him!" The girl glared at her mother, pouting.

     "I wasn't with the boy mama," The girl snapped back,"I was playing with the nice lady in the funny clothes..."

     "I don't care." her mother hissed back," Anyone who hangs around that demon is just as dangerous! Do you understand me!" The little girl nodded, as her eyes began watering up again.

     "Yes mama." she whispered. The two walked back into the crowd, and the passerbys, no longer intrested, walked away as well. Toph stood there dumb founded until her stomach growled again. She unknowingly placed her hand on her stomach, lost in thought.

     Why did that old witch call Gaara a demon? It's not like he really is one, he just has a really bad attitude.... right?

GAARA P.O.V.

     The woman and the little girl rushed off, leaving Toph behind with the pebble on the floor. At first Gaara didn't care what the woman called him a demon, but when she insited that Toph was dangerous just for being around him, something about it just made him furious.

     That little girl was no where near me, yet the woman insisted Toph is a danger. If anything it was the girls fault for running into Toph in the first place.

     Gaara closed his eyes, his fists clencehed tightly.

     Why do people hate me so! I didn't choose to carry this terrible burden upon my self! The village wanted me this way, to be the Shikakus vessel, but now they cast me away, hating my very existence! What have I done to deserve this! All my life I've been alone because of all of them...I'll kill them all one day, every last one of them. I'll ki-

     "Gaara? Are you okay?" Gaara snapped his eyes open, Tophs' face only inches away. Gaara stepped back, her gray eyes staring intently into his. Slowly Gaaras' concentration of anger ceased, and he concentrated more on Tophs eyes. Never had he seen such strange eyes within the village. They gave off a look of stubborness and rage, but also a look of elegence hidden within. She didn't even seem remotly phased by the womans cruel words she had spat at them. She blinked suddenly, and crossed her arms. "Well? Are you okay or not?" She questioned," 'Cause I would really like to get some food in my stomach sometime this year."

     "Who are you?" Gaara blurted at Toph, who crossed her arms uncomfortably. Then she smiled, up to no good from what Gaara could see.

     "Tell you what!" Toph began, grabbing Gaaras' hand, " If you buy me lunch, I'll tell you everything, but on one condition!" Gaara gave her questioning look but agreed. "You have to answer all the questions I ask you. Deal?" Gaara grimiced. "Promise or I won't tell you anything at all. Take it or leave it my good sir!" She patted and dropped his hand, walking off. The nameless feeling returned with a growing pain the farther see got from him. Fearfull of this feeling Gaara panic.

     "Fine! Deal..." He shouted back to her. Toph stopped to let Gaara catch up, smiling at here small win over him.

TOPH P.O.V.

     The two walked into a small resturant, and were seated in the corner and handed a menu that Gaara read aloud for Toph, who continued to smile, lost in thought.

     I'll figure out what this guys problem in no time. And after I do...

     Tophs smile slowly faded away,

     I'll have to choose whether or not to keep my distance....

      A small feeling of guilt filled her chest, but another feeling as well. It was the feeling she had felt earlier when he had held her. The more she thought of how close they were, the more the feeling spread. Then she caught Gaara looking at her.

     "What are you staring at?" She questioned. He looked back down at his menu.

     "Nothing but, why are you smiling like that?" Unknowingly Toph realized she was smiling again. She blushed, feeling stupid.

     "Oh it's nothing, I was just remembering a funny joke..."

     "Oh. Okay." Toph looked back down at her hands listneing to Gaara read the menu, losing herself in thought again, the smile returning...

     Maybe I should just save the questions for later...