(Twenty Seven: Peripeteia)

Start from the beginning

Logan's eyes betrayed his shock. His lips parted a little, "Alex."

"Actually I'm her evil doppelganger." Alex responded nonchalantly, moving to the window and twitching the curtain aside, "And it looks like I got here just in time. We got company."

I looked past her. Swirling mini-tornadoes of black mist were streaking over the sky, touching down just over the field that we had arrived in not twenty minutes before. They rearranged themselves into three figures, all clothed in black, and spaced at perfect villain intervals apart for that classic silhouetted evil figures in the distance aesthetic.

Logan sat up, blinking sleepily, "What's going on?" 

Alex took a step back, looking over the assembled squad of guys and making some quick calculations, "Potter, Remus, fill him in. Pettigrew, Oscar, barricade the doors, buy us some time. Toto, you're with me."

It took Sirius a moment to realise that she was talking to him. By the time he did, she was halfway to the door, "Where are we going?"

"To the roof." Was the short answer, "Let's see who we're up against."

There was a regimented military procedure to the way Alex moved now, a purpose that Sirius had never seen before, except when she was prepping to take a picture. He could physically see the world around her zero down to one foot in front of the other. She had always had that ability, no matter how scared she was, to lose herself in the task at hand. Sometimes Sirius thought that was why she got so afraid- because if she knew she could fade from reality so easily, it would be hard not to wonder if one day she wouldn't make it back.

The roof was accessed through a hatch in the ceiling just outside of Logan's room. Sirius watched as Alex made an assessment about her height, and gestured to him to pop it open. A ladder unfolded itself at his touch, sliding into place.

He held out a hand to pause Alex, just for a minute, speaking in a low voice, "Look, I know I dragged you into this, but are you sure you're up for it?"

In response, Alex scoffed, "I'm a newly initiated werewolf who's just discovered that the dog I sort of adopted is actually the arsehole that the dead grandmother I never met told me that I have an inescapable destiny with." She shoved past him, feet hitting the bottom rungs of the ladder, "They could have a fully activated nuke out there and I'm ninety percent sure I'd walk away."

"Yes." Sirius said, determinedly staring at the floor. Talking to someone at arse-level was one of those occasions where you aren't sure where to look, "But is that you talking or the... Thing?"

Alex stopped her climb and looked down at him, "The 'thing' is me now, and it's might save you all. So you can bloody well accept it already."

She disappeared through the ladder. Fighting his annoyance, Sirius followed her, barely taking in the chipped roof tiles, or the no-longer-so-distant figures picking their way carefully towards them in his rush to voice his opinion.

"I don't accept it." He said at her back, "I don't. So you can bloody well do the whole angst-emo-goth, I've-changed-this-is-who-I-am-now thing if you want, but all the rest of us are gonna do is sit back and wait for the storm to pass, wait for Alex to come back because the 'thing' living inside her is twisted and wrong and not real."

She didn't respond. Her back was to Sirius, looking out over the landscape.

He took a step closer, never moving his eyes from her, "Oh, and now you decide to go all silent treatment. What the fuck is your deal?"

Alex's arm whipped out suddenly. She reached behind her, grabbing Sirius by his collar and dragging him forward, so that he was looking out the same way that she was. The Death Eaters were closer now, close enough to distinguish who they were. There was Rodolphus Lestrange, and Lilith Flint, who had obviously decided that Sirius' black leather approach to fashion was worth copying, but it was the last shape that really seared itself into Sirius' memory- Bellatrix Black.