The Beginning ♡

6 Yrs Earlier...

Melodi

"Look at his shoes." My cousin Ashley says pointing at this boy. He's light skinned, maybe mixed with the most beautiful long hair. He handsome but his swag is really off. "Leave that boy alone." I say. Everybody been talking bad about the new kid. "Why the fine boys always gotta be junkified?" She asks. "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't talk." I say. "Why you always so nice? Damn, Melodi." She snaps. I shake my head and walk over to his locker. I squat down.

"Do you need help with your locker?" I ask. "Oh, no, I got it." He shyly replies, flashing a small smile. I watch him try it again. "Shit." He curses under his breath in his Caribbean accent. "Here, let me show you." I say. "I guess." He says. I grab the paper With his combination scribbled on it.

2 - 28 - 4

"Ok, first you have to go past the zero twice then turn the dial to your first number which is two." I say, turning it. He nods his head. "Then you go to the left past the zero one time then to your next number, 28." I say. "Alright." He says. "Now all you have to do is go to the right to the four then pull it up and wala, it opens." I say, smiling. He smiles. "Thanks." He says, grabbing his sixth grade math book. "Do you want to try it?" I ask. He shyly smiles and shakes his head no. "Gracias." He says. I chuckle. "So, what's your name?" I ask. "I am Azeem." He answers. "Azeem? That's different. I've never heard that." I say. "What's yours?" He asks. "Melodi with an I." I answer, smiling. He slightly chuckles. "That's nice." He says, nodding his head. He shoves his hands in the pockets of his large jeans. "I wish all of the American gials were nice as you are." He says, looking down. "Where are you from?" I ask. "I come from Belize." He says. "Awww that's so cool. I bet it's all beautiful and fun to live there." I say. He shakes his head. "I wish." He says. "What does that mean?" I ask. "Belize is a very beautiful but i'm from a very poor part. Education is not free there. There is no electricity in most homes. We'd rather eat than have lights. Life is hard there. I'm here for a better life, a better future. My mother hopes for the best here in California. " He says. "I'm so sorry." I say. "Don't be. Don't get me wrong, there's beauty on the island, just not where i'm from." He says. "Can I see your schedule, Azeem?" I ask. He hands it to me. "Atleast we take all classes but one together. Come on, we can walk to class together." I say. "Are you embarrassed of me?" He out of the blue asks. I look at him funny. "Why would I be embarrassed to be seen with you, Azeem?" I ask. He looks down. "I have cardboard in my shoes because there's giant holes in them, I stink, and my clothes are too big and this is all I have. I have no money. I don't want to embarrass you. Everybody's talking about me." He mumbles. I hug him. "Azeem, I don't care about that. You're my friend. Now, let's go, Azeem. Don't worry about what people say about you. Unless they're going to help, tell them to suck your dick." I say. He laughs. "No, I can't say that." He says. "Well, I'll tell them for you." I say, grabbing his hand. And with that, we walk up the sixth grade hall like we can't be touched. All of the negativity around us don't even matter.

Well, this is the intro. Very short, I know. Comment, please.

To see Azeem and Melodi as 12 yr olds, check the multimedia.

I UNDERSTAND THERE'S READERS FROM BELIZE. THIS CH. WAS BASED ON WHAT MY TOUR GUIDE IN BELIZE WAS TELLING AND SHOWING US. DON'T BE TRYING TO BE "CAPTAIN DEFEND MY COUNTRY" N SHIT CAUSE WHERE I WAS, SHXT WAS POOR AND THE PPL WERE POOR. EVERYBODY AINT LIVING THE GOOD LIFE THERE SO DON'T COME AT ME.