A Promise

(This is a smol filler till we enter the story again sorry!)
Your P.O.V
I stretched out my back as I finally finished the stack of paperwork that had been sitting on my desk for a few days. I let out a small sigh and rested my head on my hands, and I looked towards Gaara as he looked over a few things.
I smiled to myself as his panda eyes scanned over a paper.
He suddenly looked up at me and I pretended to be looking out the window behind him.
"Bored?" He asked me.
I gave a shrug, as I looked up at the ceiling. I could hear Gaara's chair move and the next thing I knew he was looming over me, blocking my sight from the ceiling.

Temari rushed through the door suddenly. The sound of the door slamming made me jump and I felt my chair start falling backwards.
I ended catching myself and pushed my chair back like nothing happened.
I made eye contact with Gaara, "You didn't see anything." I said to him, his face didn't change but I could see a flick of amusement in his eyes.
"GUYS! WE NEED YOU AT THE FESTIVAL STAT!" Temari yelled as she finally caught her breath. Gaara stiffly nodded and headed out the door, I followed swiftly behind but before I left Temari gave me a thumbs up and a smirk.
"Wait Tema-" I couldn't finish the sentence because she slammed the door in my face. I sighed and caught up with Gaara, staying a few steps behind him thinking about Temari.

When we arrived on the festival grounds it seemed pretty calm for the most part. Gaara and I continued to walk through the festival. I might've gotten distracted by a few stands, but before I knew it I lost sight of Garra.
"Ah dang...this is just like when we were younger." I said to myself. "M-M-Momma?! Momma?" I heard someone say.
Next to me I found a small little boy who seemed to be lost. I smiled a little, he really reminded me of my younger self. Considering how much I got lost before.
"It's okay. What does your mom look like? Maybe I can help you find her." I say as I crouched down to his height. I wiped a few of his tears off and calmed him down, and soon we were off.

He sat on my shoulders so he could see over the crowd. "There! I see her!" I heard him say after we walked for about 10 minuets.
"Anyu?? Has anyone seen my son?" I could hear her say. "Ma'am! Is this Anyu? I found him over by the food stands." I said as we reached her.

Turns out my guess was right. She was the mother of Anyu. "Ah I can't thank you enough, I was so scared I lost you Anyu. Don't wander off again! Ah Miss-wait-The Kazakage's Girlfriend?!" She said out loud.
Did she just call me-?
"U-uhm I think th-there's been a misunderstanding...I'm his secretary, not his girlfriend." I say after being caught off guard. "Don't be embarrassed, you guys make a lovely couple after all." Another woman said as she passed by.
Boyfriend? Couple? Us?
"Y/N."
"Oh Gaara! I've been looking for you, well actually I was looking for Anyu's mom but-" I was cut off by Gaara grabbing my hand and walking off to the backside of food stand.

"Gaara if you pull me along like this they'll actually think we're dating!" I said under my breath.
He suddenly stopped and turned to face me, "Don't you dare disappear again..." he said quietly.
"Gaara...I'm capable of taking care of myself-"
He had grabbed onto my shoulders rather harshly, and I found myself staring into his sea foam eyes.

Suddenly everything seemed to freeze, as I was brought back to yet another distant memory.
"Gaara! Gaara! I wanna go eat the takoyaki!" I saw a younger me say.
It was the first festival I went too with Gaara. I saw Gaara struggling to keep up with the younger me, and soon I was all alone in the middle of a big crowd.
I couldn't see their faces but, I could hear the voices.
"Oh look! It's the weirdo girl!"
"Monster Lover!"
"Where's your murdering boyfriend?" I heard the voices yelling.
A second later I saw my smaller self curled up in a ball next to the food stalls.
"He's not a monster, he's not a monster, he's not a monster...HES NOT A MONSTER!" I heard her say.

I came back to reality.
"But Gaara..." I said.
He held out his pinky to me. "Let's do the-the promise thing." He said in his monotone voice.
I felt my face flush pink, and held out my pinky too his.
"I-I promise." I said quietly. I felt him close the gap between us , as he pulled me into a hug.
"I won't let them hurt your smile...I-I promise too." I heard him say into my shoulder.
"My smile?" I said as we pulled apart.

"The one that shines brighter than the sun."

He even gave me a small smile of his own.