"Uggghh!" Jackie swung her arms up and down in disgust and for the first time was taken off guard by the immense fear and emotion inside of her. Her body convulsed for a minute as she stood there with nothing to grab hold of; she looked as though her hands gripped the invisible handle of a dynamite detonating box as she wept.

It wasn't immediate, but eventually she took hold of herself and went back to where her sister lay staring off into space, dry tears staining her face.

"Okay, kiddo, get in the car and let's get this show on the road."

Karen looked up at her like a lost puppy. She drug herself up and the two of them got in the car, both with sour faces. Jackie took a deep breath and turned the key in the ignition. It didn't start but it made enough noise to give the impression it might if it were given enough motivation. She tried again. The car seemed to try a little bit harder but still couldn't quite make it.

She tried again, this time pushing gently down on the gas and the car tried ever harder to come to life but still could not. She let a cry of anger that made little sense in the English language as she beat on the steering wheel with the bottom of her fist.

"Why won't it start, Jackie?"

"Do I look like I know jack shit about cars, Karen?"

Karen started to cry again and there was that heavy lump in Jackie's chest again. She swallowed and took a deep breath.

"I'm sorry, Kare-Bear. I thought it would work and we could get out of here and I'm just so scared."

Karen reached across the middle console and grabbed Jackie's hand and gripped it tightly. A high pitched screeching came from somewhere far away like the scream of some demonic bird. The sound ricocheted off of the buildings and echoed in multiple pitches as it went.

Both Jackie and Karen's hands clasped together went cold and wet as their grips tightened slickly. The hair on the back of Jackie's neck seemed to rise and she knew instantly what the sound had been.

They're awake.

She felt dizzy and surreal as she opened the car door and drug her sister with her. Karen was whimpering and it was all Jackie could do to get her to shut up. She finally had to stop and shake Karen to get her to snap out of it. Street lights and the remaining neon signs started coming to life as the two girls ran for the next car up the road, a lavender SUV.

The front end of the it was buried into what had been a glass store front for some type of electronics store. Large crooked splinters of glass hung like monstrous teeth from the top of the wide window sill. Hues of red, blue, and gold reflected off the shattered glass strung along the sidewalk and the edge of the road around the SUV.

Jackie lead the way carefully as they stepped over the glass, onto the sidewalk, and into the store.

"Stay here while I get--"

"But look Jackie, there's no one inside." Karen pointed into the windshield of the big lavendar truck which was dimly lit from behind with red neon light.

Jackie walked up to get a closer look and sure enough it seemed empty. She put her hand out to Karen just in case and went around to the driver side door and looked down into the floorboard. No body, nothing at all. She opened the door and looked under the steering wheel. No keys. Her pulse quickened, but she kept as calm as she could and hopped into the car, going for the visor. She pulled it down and dust fell into her face, causing her to cough violently. But there were no keys. She tried the other visor and found it also lacking of keys.

She knew it was a long shot but she reached across the seat and opened the glove compartment. Only random papers and junk seemed to fill it. She was just about get out of the car when she felt something under her foot on the driver’s side floorboard. She reached down and felt with her hand. It certainly felt like keys. She picked them up and they jingled filling her with hope. When the light reflected off the keychain she nearly hollered with excitement. Instead, she reached her hand out of the open door and motioned for Karen to get in.