22 - ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS

Start from the beginning

He ran off, leaving the door open, and there was a shout for him to close the door, his voice drifting down that someone was at the door, only for another call for him to let in their guests, only to receive a sharp, "no," in response.

"He doesn't want anyone to meet his parents," Remy explained, unsure as to why, but not making anymore comment besides that. Birdie didn't ask either, figuring that he would have told her if he knew.

Marc reappeared after resounding footsteps, out of breath as he held a jar in his hands, clear and, to Remy's utter shock, filled with paper boats.

"I didn't think I had to write you a letter as there are words on the insides of the boats," Marc explained, holding the jar out towards Remy, looking very uncomfortable with the whole exchange, "You always like unfolding your boats. You know what to do."

Remy reached out with one hand, taking the jar, thrusting the box and letter into Marc's still outstretched hand. "There are nine-hundred and ninety-nine cranes inside and one more paper so you can make the thousandth one and make a wish."

Birdie watched as the two boys just stared at each other for a moment, glancing down at the items in their hands, then at the item in the other boy's hand, then back at each other, and she had to wonder if either of them knew what was happening.

"So, I'll let you go back to..." Remy began, starting to back away.

"Yeah, um, we are just having dinner, but have fun at your Christmas party," Marc said, backing more inside his house.

"Thank you for the present," Remy stuttered, pointing towards his jar, "It really...you-you didn't have to, this probably took a while."

"Yeah, well you made nearly a thousand cranes, that must have...thank you for the present," Marc breathed, retreating and already starting to close the door.

"B-bye," Remy stammered, just as the door closed, turning around, his cheeks burning and his body turned in on itself.

Birdie blinked. "Remy, what was that?"

"I don't wanna talk about it, mom, let's just go," Remy shouted, pushing her ahead of him and towards the house, nearly causing her to trip, shoving her ahead a few feet.

She turned around to make sure he was following, only to see him rushing back towards the open door, throwing himself against Marc who hugged him tightly. The taller boy glanced over and froze, seeing that Birdie was watching and pulled away quickly, nodding towards Remy before slamming the door in his face, the smaller boy rushing back to his things and gathering them.

"Sorry, I had to fix my shoe," he mumbled, pushing past her and rushing back towards their home, jar hugged to his chest.

Birdie paused for a moment, just to smile. Her son had a friend. A Christmas miracle.

º º º

Dinner was already well underway when the doorbell rang.

During Christmas, dinner never had a set finish. There was a set start, usually around eight, but until it was time to open presents, everyone could just continue eating while they talked, which everyone did. So to say that dinner was well-underway was to say that it was about ten when the doorbell rang.

"Who is it?" Janice asked, standing up and hovering by Birdie protectively, "Get them away."

"Don't worry, mom, I invited him," Wilma said, holding her hands up to ease everyone back, Birdie feeling her face heat up in embarrassment at how much of a fuss she had created just by being there.