1.02. Make Or Break

Chapter 2

"Are you hungry?"

My best friend, Lilly, glanced at me picking at my mall food court penne pasta.

"Honestly, I haven't eaten all day. I'm too stressed," I confessed, running a hand through my hair. The winner of Jacob's contest was being announced tonight, and I'd literally bit my fingers off over the past week in anticipation.

"Mads," Lilly sighed, "You got this. You're the most talented person I know. Don't beat yourself up."

I just nodded and stuck my fork in the plate of food.

My phone buzzed, and I picked it up off the table, unlocking it.

"@JacobWhitesides: 2 more hours!"

I almost threw up, but there was nothing to push out of my stomach. Two more hours until I receive the news that will decide my fate.

Again, a little dramatic, Mads.

"Maddy!"

Someone shouted my name, tearing my attention off my phone.

My boyfriend, Drew, made his way to me, two of his basketball buddies tagging along behind.

"Hey," I smiled, meeting up with him and getting on my tiptoes to give him a quick peck on the lips. He grinned, his dimples showing, and pulled me into a hug. Drew and I have been dating for a few months now, but lately I haven't been feeling that into him. The problem is, he's head over heels in love with me. Or at least that's what I've heard.

"Whatcha up to?" he asked, glancing at Lilly, who was watching him with pursed lips. She never really liked Drew as a person, and she's always badgering me to break up with him. Easier said than done.

"Just chilling, having some girl time," I told him, crossing my arms.

"Ah, OK. Cool!" He grinned again. I nodded.

"Yep," I said, popping the 'p' and rocking back on my heels.

Awkward silence followed suit.

"Well, I'll catch up with you later," Drew said slowly, walking backwards. I gave him a small wave and mouthed 'bye'.

When I sat down again, Lilly just stared at me with a dull and annoyed expression.

"What?" I asked, rolling my eyes.

"Do you not realize how utterly repulsive the two of you are?" Lilly muttered, raising her eyebrows and taking a sip of her Coke. Her lipstick left a faint red stain on the straw.

"Lil, I can't just break up with him. He's too sweet, too good to me," I explained.

"Just saying," She shrugged, and balled up her trash.

I sighed at threw my food away.

"Now, let's go find you a killer outfit to wear for when you film with Jacob," Lilly chuckled, grabbing my arm.

"But-" I started, but she was already plowing her way to Wet Seal.

* * * * *

Two hours later, and Lilly and I were huddled on my bed staring at me phone screen.

I refreshed my timeline and new tweet from Jacob popped up. Lilly gripped my arm, and I gulped.

"@JacobWhitesides: one minute!"

"Oh, my god," I whispered, and slid off my bed.

Pacing the room, thoughts flooded into my head of all the possible outcomes.

He wouldn't pick me, I'm not even that great of a singer.

He'd never notice me, I'm nobody.

I won't win. I didn't win.

Tears began to prickle in my eyes, and I wiped them with the sleeve of my California flag sweatshirt.

Ding!

My breath hitched.

" 'Next tweet' " Lilly read, and I came back over to the bed and plopped back down.

I let out a shaky breath and grabbed a nearby pillow.

"Ugh!" I cried and smashed my face into the pillow, squeezing my eyes shut.

I felt a hand on my back and tried my hardest to calm my nerves.

Just when my breathing began to slow down, I heard my phone chime.

"Uh, Maddy?" Lilly mumbled, and I un-buried my face from the pillow and looked up at her.

There was a banner at the bottom of my Twitter that made my heart skip a beat.

" 'New Tweet from Jacob Whitesides' "

-