Còigeamh Bliadhna - Leabharlann

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Not many students visited the library after lessons were over. But as always, Carina got there just after dinner ended, and greeted a patiently waiting Remus Lupin. The two had been the very best of friends since they were partnered up for Charms in first year and had made revision schedules together to help them both kick the asses of their exams.

"Those sons of a banshee," Carina muttered darkly as she checked over her homework planner. "One week back and already eight pieces of homework. Merlin, save my soul."

Laughing, Remus placed something onto the desk with a thud. "Thought we would need this."

"Sweet mother of a pukwudgie, I love you, Lupin. You know me so well," she replied, enthusiastically grabbing the jumbo Honeydukes chocolate bar in her hands.

"Wait, that's for later - " Remus sighed as she ignored his protests and shoved a chunk into her mouth.

"You were saying something?" Carina mumbled through her mouthful as he gave her a look. He laughed and took a piece too.

"So," he said as she opened her Potions book. "What was going on with you and Sirius before lunch?"
"Remus," Carina began. "You'd tell me if you had a secret, right? Like, an important one?"
"What's bringing this up?" He asks, flipping through the pages of his Astronomy guide.
"Because... I found something. A note. Explaining a secret meeting, but with very odd names on it." She took a pause. "The note was from Sirius and Peter. But they signed it with code names and the receiver had a code name too.  I guessed it was either James... Or you."

Remus choked on his chunk of chocolate. Quickly, Carina began patting him on the back. When he looked back at her, her eyebrows were scrunched and her arms were folded. He could tell she knew something was up.

"Look, Carina," he said, as convincingly as he could. "There's nothing going on. I'm sure it was just just a prank or something that the others were planning. Don't worry. Now, let's get back to studying, yeah?"

He didn't notice her as she saw the odd way he had marked his lunar chart, specifically highlighted on the days of the full moon. Or as she carefully slipped it off the table and into her bag to study.

A slight twinge of guilt twisted in Carina's stomach as she took the chart but something told her it was important, that Remus was hiding something and that this had something to do with it. Carina just hoped she was right.

She quickly brought up a new topic in conversation to divert the slightly awkward silence.
"So, ermm... What are you doing for the Potions assignment?"

Remus swallows his current piece of chocolate and breaks another one off thoughtfully.
"I dunno. Making our own potions seem... Oddly dangerous. Even for Slughorn."
"Well, I've been studying the effects of Armadillo bile and..."

They discussed new properties and experiments they had tried out, talking for ages to stop the silence creeping in as they worked.

Eventually, they were kicked out by Madam Pince, as the hours had crept deeper and deeper into the night. Despite Carina's protests that chivalry was dead, Remus walked her back to the Ravenclaw common room.

Just before he turned to head back to the Gryffindor dorms, Carina piped up: "Don't forget, Prefect duties start the weekend after next. Congrats on getting it for Gryffindor too."
He smiled back and nodded. "And you for Ravenclaw. Now go get some sleep. We have History of Magic first thing."

She thanked him and he slowly walked away. The guilt was tying her stomach in knots but Carina didn't know why. She hadn't really done anything wrong, right? She was just... borrowing Remus's lunar chart. To prove a theory. Something didn't seem right. Carina had her suspicions. But they would have to wait.

Rowena, she hoped she was wrong.

         ✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧