Chapter 2: Homecoming

As quickly as she'd risen in the ranks of celebrity, Katie crashed and burned. No matter how many times she shared her side, the press saw drama, and that was all that mattered to them.

Rejected and vandalized everywhere she went (she'd thrown out several pairs of shoes because people on the subway peed on them), Katie sold her condo in a short sale. She rented a car to make the long drive back to Paradise Prairie. where her father waited with bated breath for her.

As she pulled into town, she noticed the Cloven Hoof, a truck stop that gave out more food poisoning than edible food, had a new sign and its parking lot now paved. The parking lot was also full. Strange.

Her father lived above the town's animal shelter, located just past downtown. It was an old building with loose bricks and not nearly enough room for all the animals that seemed to come through. If not for Matthew McKendrick's close friendships with animal rescues all over the state, most of the animals would have been euthanized.

Katie looked up at the decaying building. The sign was missing part of its light, spelling out "The endr Kennel," instead of "The McKendrick Kennel." The light above the kennel was on, and Katie hoped her father was waiting for her. She grabbed her suitcase, and pulled it slowly behind her, balking at the weight of her many pairs of shoes. Her Jimmy Choo heels clacked against the ground, and she rang the doorbell.

"Kitty, is that you?" A crackly voice asked through the intercom.

"Yeah, dad." Katie smiled, and she pulled her suitcase into the stairwell.

At the top of the stairs, her father, Matt, was waiting, leaning against the door as Katie lugged her shoes up.

"How's that back treating you?" Katie grunted.

"About the same as always." Matt smiled as Katie reached the top half of the stairs and Matt took the suitcase from her. "I wish you'd have flown. I could've gone to Goodland to pick you up."

"Do you know how many extra flights that would've been? Besides, driving kept me away from anyone who wants to throw pop at me." Katie kicked off her pumps as she entered the small apartment. Her shoulders loosened as she gazed at the familiar surroundings.

The open concept room had brick walls and high windows. The hardwood floor was dull and covered with threadbare Oriental carpets. Knit throws and pillows with cheeky sayings covered the leather sofa. Sitting on a stool in the corner was a long-haired orange cat that had far more white on his face than Katie remembered.

"Hey, Hector." She padded over to him and sat on the chair next to him. Hector stood and crossed into Katie's lap. As he started to purr, Katie let out another breath. "At least you still like me."

Matt returned and smiled when he saw them. "Ol' Heck is getting blind. But he still recognizes you. Remember when you brought him home?"

Katie had been fifteen and running around with her best friend, Jemmy, when she came across an abandoned kitten in a cardboard box. They'd taken him to Goodland, where the nearest vet was, had him dewormed, gave him his shots, and told to come back in several weeks to get neutered. Hector had been with them ever since.