Chapter 5

The next Thursday was one day Harry had been looking forward to after the sign had been posted in the Slytherin common room. They were having flying lessons, albeit with the Gryffindors, however most of them were alright. The only Gryffindors Harry and his friends really disliked were 'The Idiot Trio' as Harry likes to refer to them, Ron, Seamus Finnigan and Dean Thomas, as well as one Lavender Brown. He had never flown before, but the prospect of flying was so fun, something he had dreamed of while at the Dursley's, flying to go free.

Harry and his four friends reached two lines of ten brooms; each one pointing towards the inside of the invisible rectangle. The each stood by a broom, Harry in the centre with Theo and Blaise followed by Daphne and Tracey all along one side. When Draco and his 'gang' had come along, the lined up in the same gender order with Draco next to Harry. Draco glared at Harry and kept throwing insults at him, whereas Harry just looked away and was talking to Theo about how they believed the Gryffindors would do.
"I don't believe Parvati or Brown will pick it up that easily as neither has shown any willingness to fly, and I heard Brown saying she actually had a fear of heights." Harry said. Theo agreed.
"Hermione will fare better, however she is more book smart that broom smart, and Neville is not going to do very well." Harry chuckled slightly. Neville was a good friend to him, however Harry could tell he lacked confidence; due to his upbringing. He was hoping to help Neville build on his confidence within the coming weeks; he feel like it would greatly benefit Neville as a person and he could be an exceptional wizard if he built up his self-confidence.
"Weasley May be alright; what with his brothers being profound at quidditch however he will not be as good as he claims he is." Just as Harry said that; the Gryffindors arrived, the three who were part of Harry's group not talking to the others, and immediately standing by the brooms on the furthest side from The Idiot Trio and The Clinging Girl, as they were now known among the first years. Hermione smiled at The Slytherins, some smiled back, and some glared at her.
"Good. You're by the brooms already. To start, Place your hand above the broom and say 'Up!' To Call the broom to you Hand." As she finished saying this, there was a cry of Up, however only a few brooms flew up at first. Harry got his broom up first try with no hesitance, as did Draco, however, from his face Harry could tell that his broom was hesitant. Harry looked to his friends and saw Blaise and Theo got theirs up on their second, with Tracey and Daphne on their fourth and fifth respectively. Harry looked over to his other side and saw none of Draco's friends had got their brooms up. Hermione and Neville were the two first Gryffindors to get their brooms, followed after a while by Parvati and lavender. Ron, Seamus and Dean were the last ones. Madame Hooch quickly showed them how to grip their brooms correctly and Harry quickly caught on. Draco however, was not paying attention and had it wrong. Harry pointed it out to him and he quickly changed, realising Harry was trying to not make him look like a fool in front of the Gryffindors. When Madame Hooch came past everyone was perfect and she awarded a point a piece before telling everyone:
"Right after I blow my whistle I want to all take off, Fly a few feet in the air then come back down again. On the count of three. 1 - 2 -" Neville, who, as much confidence he had gained, was still nervous, pushed off on his broom and started going up to early. Madame Hooch called him to come back, however Neville had lost control of his broom. Harry and Hermione looked at each other, before calling to Madame Hooch to set down some cushioning charms in case Neville fell. She respected the two students wishes and it was lucky she did since as soon as she finished placing them down he fell off of his broom. Thankfully he did not seem to be hurt; although he had to be taken to the hospital wing because of procedure.
"Now, you stay on the ground till I get back or you'll be out of this school before you can say 'Quidditch.'" She said before dragging Neville to the infirmary. Draco waited until she was out of earshot before smirking.
"Honestly Longbottom is pathetic. He may be of our blood yet he is no better than those of dirty blood." Hermione turned to him and looked him in the eye.
"Stop Malfoy before I hex you." She gathered all her Gryffindor courage and he laughed at her.
"You're no match for me Granger, nor any of my worthy housemates." He turned away from her.
"Look it's the thing Longbottom's grandmother gave him. Let's put it somewhere where he can find it. How about up that tree?" He smirked before lifting off of the ground. Harry followed in suit, though his true intentions were only known to Parvati and Hermione.
"Hey Malfoy, Potter, Give it back!" Ron shouted at them. He also lifted up off the ground, though more shaky than Harry and Draco. Draco looked behind him to see Harry and was glad it wasn't Harry he was up against, though he was in a way. He looked between Harry and Ron then called out laughing;
"Hey I bet you couldn't catch this if I were to throw it straight down." He then threw it before a seeker chase started between Ron and Harry. Harry was obviously the more skilled flyer, though he had less experience, and quickly overtook him, grabbing the rememberall before sweeping straight, feet bricking gently against the tall grass. Everyone who was watching was acting like a proper audience. They gasped at the right points and the Slytherins, Hermione and Parvati all cheered for Harry, the Slytherins just happy he won against the Gryffindor and Harry's friends happy for him.
"POTTER!"