I'm gonna have fun in the city

Personally I have never chosen to become a groupie. To be honest, at first I didn't even know precisely what it meant the word groupie, of course until I found myself in.

As a teenager I was a cute little tyke and I'd had my first experiences with some contemporary, but I can't say I was very resourceful from the sexual point of view.

Rock music has allowed me to love, with all my body and soul, some rowdy guys who performed on a stage, from the very first moment I saw them.

At that time, about half of March 1975, I had graduated from a little over a year and I was living with my parents, in Melbourne.

I had no desire to continue studying, so I decided to make myself financially independent and I started working at night at the Hard Rock Cafe, which at that time was becoming one of the hottest clubs in the city.

During that time I was not very interested in rock bands, I consider them only as a pleasant background while I carried the drinks at the tables of customers.

But I remember that it was a Friday, the day it all began.

Raymond Windlow informed me that a new band coming from Sidney would play at the Hard Rock. He had come casually there, a few nights before.

Raymond and I were classmates, but we lost touch when he finished his studies before me because he is three years older than me.

So, I discovered at the time he worked as a roadie for that little-known band.

-I assure you that those guys are out of this world, a true bundle of energy. You have never seen anything like them in Australia, I guarantee it!-

-I bet all the roadies think the band they work with is the coolest in the world, Raymond.- I replied to him in skeptical way.

He looked at me with a very serious expression and then said: -Well, yes, it's usually true. But I'm sure this group will drive you mad!-

Evidently he possessed the power to see the future, because that's just what would happen.

The Hard Rock Cafe was filled that Friday night, and I felt literally like a fish out of water around that ocean of little girls all dressed up to attend the show, while I was running there trying to make my pay.

Luckily Raymond saw me and caught up with me almost immediately. His face was weirdly despondent.

-What happened, Ray?- I asked, seeing him in that condition.

-Never happened before, Kimmy.- he replied with a sigh. -I made an ass of myself. I offered to bring some ... ERM ... illegal substance to the band, and everyone looked at me as if I were sprouted horns on the head. They told me that I should not even mention drugs in front of them. And I thought I had a good idea!-

I put an arm on his shoulder.

-Come on, maybe you just picked the wrong time. I'm sure they're not going to be mad at you for this.-

I didn't have time to console him further, however. At that moment the entire room was flooded by the cries of a myriad of girls gone mad.

I turned immediately toward the stage, and I saw the last thing I imagined seeing in that environment.

There was a guy who wasn't dressed exactly as you would expect from a rock star: he wore a cobalt blue jacket, a cap, a white shirt with a tie and a pair of shorts.

I mean, he looked like a 15-year-old student who attends our anglo-saxon schools, and looking at him I couldn't hold back a laugh.

At least until he began playing his Gibson guitar.