Chapter 13

LOVE ESSAY
By: Jonathan Dennis

I sigh as I finally start this dreaded essay after finding out that my project partner has started his too. Honestly, the mere thought of his essay terrifies me, the kind of things that he'll carefully write throughout this year...

Enough about him, this is my essay, it's about me and how I feel about love. Wow, that's a sentence I'd never think I'd write.

Anyway, to me, love is....

------------

The rest of the empty document stares back at Jonathan as he moves his hands from the keyboard, frowning.

Sighing, he looks to his right, finding Evan asleep, his open laptop revealing a black screen beside him. Jonathan checked the time. It was a little after midnight.

Evan was laying on his side, small snores escaping his mouth, Jonathan had to drag his gaze away, trying to focus on his computer screen. He couldn't get distracted by his English partner, he needed to work.

Slowly, his eyes began to continuously fail him, his blinks growing longer and longer, staying closed for several seconds at a time. "Must...work." He whispered to himself, speaking as though he was trying to convince himself that he didn't need to sleep.

Obviously, he failed, giving in to his fatigue within a few minutes of fighting against himself, closing his laptop and slumping onto the ground, much like the boy beside him, no, much like his friend beside him.

Jonathan has yet to realize that, that him and Evan have confirmed them being friends. It'll most likely hit him in the morning, when he realizes that he spent the night at Evan's house, in Evan's room, a place so sacred, a place only few people were allowed, he assumed.

He wasn't trying to imply that Evan had little friends, or that he was a freak or something, it was just the way his room was. It looked lived in, like a homey, alone kind of feeling. It was more of a quiet sanctuary rather than a hangout spot.

Posters and pictures plastered the inside of his main door and the door to his closet, the light gray walls were patchy, paint peeling in some places where there must have been something else hanging before it was stripped bare.

Dust gathered on the game consoles he kept underneath the TV that was mounted on the wall. Evan never struck Jonathan as a game player, so it confused him as he struggled to find a reason that he had it.

It barely registers in Jonathan's head that as he tries to let himself be captured by the will of sleep, he finds himself analyzing the space Evan finds the most comfort in. His room, which is full of everything he likes, the things that bring him comfort, the things that keep him sane even when nothing else seems to make sense.

Jonathan forgets what he had been focusing on, the thought that was prominent in his head fades to nothing as he finally feels the tug of sleep. His eyelids grow a thousand times heavier it seems, and he can't help but close them and give into his fatigue.

----

Evan wakes up with a jump, heart beating at an unusual rate and his breathing is heavier than usual. The memory of the previous day enters his head as he tries to recall the dream he had, and immediately he forces his breathing to settle, glancing over to his left to make sure his friend was still asleep. Luckily, he was.

He sits up, accidentally knocking his laptop with his left leg, fortunately nothing was broken. His breathing, although still irregular, is calmer.

The boy found himself looking to his left once more, taking in the sight of Jonathan sleeping. So peaceful, so at ease, those were probably the same thing, but it was all Evan could think about .

So beautiful...He thought with an inward sigh, regretfully looking away before the boy woke up and questioned his actions. No doubt his friend already thought he was weird, he didn't need his feelings ruining anything else.

Out of nowhere, Evan's stomach growled, almost as if it knew that it was the weekend and he could finally eat a decent meal aside from water, candy bars, and gum. He groaned as he stood up, lingering fatigue slowing his movements.

Evan yawned as he stood up, covering his mouth with one hand and trying to be as quiet as possible as he made his way to the door of his room. Closing it softly behind him, he made his way to the stairs.

As he is going down, he hears rushed movement come from the kitchen, yet it doesn't bother him as he continues to walk, knowing that it must be his mom.

Surely enough, it's his mom, drinking a glass of wine right before she took off for work. He slides past her easily to grab a muffin from behind her, he grins as she eyes him suspiciously. "Hello, mother." He greets right as she takes a sip.

"Hi, Ev. I got home really late last night, who's your friend?" Not even beating around the bush, Evan liked that, she always said exactly what she was thinking, always wanted to know the answer to the prominent question in her head.

"My English partner, Jonathan." He takes a bit of his muffin after he replies, knowing exactly what is going to be coming next.

Her eyebrows become raised and she grins at her son, who is still happily eating the muffin. "Jonathan. We like Jonathan, right?" His mother asked, giving him a knowing look.

"We don't just like Jonathan, we adore him." Evan spoke softer than her, his head beginning to think back to when he had seen him earlier, sleeping peacefully on the floor of his bedroom. "He's, he's amazing." For a second, he forgets his mother is there.

"So we do like Jonathan." She takes the last sip of her wine before putting her glass in the sink, grabbing her purse off the table. She smiles at her son once more, grabbing his head and kissing it softly since he's still eating. "Gotta go sweetie, love you." She blows him a kiss as she heads out the door.

Evan continues to eat the muffin, losing himself in thought as he waits for Jonathan to wake up.

--

Jonathan, having heard the conversation between Evan and his mom, slowly backed up the stairs so he could pretend to be asleep for at least a few more minutes.

To say he was shocked was an understatement.