Chapter 11

Thomas woke up to a scream, something told him it would be Alby, going through the Changing.

Alby screamed throughout the rest of the day, had it even been worth saving him if he was in so much pain now? Thomas sat on a bench and everyone left him too it, even Rachel didn't bother him, in person or through their freaky mind link which he still didn't understand.

Everything seemed to settle on Thomas as he sat and thought. He was trapped here like all the rest of them, surrounded by hideous monsters with no way out anyone could find.

Rachel appeared not long after dark, struggling to carry two lots of dinner and water. Thomas was happy to see her, apart from Chuck she was his only friend in this place and something told him he had known her for far longer than just the last few days. If only he could remember.

She sat next to him and they ate in silence, everyone else had probably gone off to sleep now, or they were watching them in a shadowy corner. Thomas honestly didn't care.

"Everyone's acting like you're some kind of god now. Fighting off grievers, pushing Alby up the wall and surviving all night. We'll never be able to lay low again." Rachel said, before half draining her drink.

"Well tell them to stop." Thomas realised he hadn't spoken in hours and his voice sounded raw.

"Ya think I didn't try," Rachel laughed, "they're saying Alby's done with the worst part. I never want to hear someone scream like that again." Thomas couldn't have agreed more.

"Anything new on the greenies?" Thomas asked and Rachel nodded.

"Yeah, medis looked at me like I had three heads when they asked."

"What?"

"You know how they were both mumbling something when they were in the Box. Different but both the same word over and over?" Thomas nodded.

"Well at some point before here I seem to have learnt to read lips. They've been muttering the same thing the whole time. The boy my name and the girl yours."

That was a shock. Why would this comatose pair be whispering their names over and over? Was it to do with the strange connection he felt? Most strongly to the girl but also to the boy and Rachel to a lesser extent.

Rachel smiled at his expression. "That's not all I got. When I was in there I felt something in my head, similar to when I talk to you. Almost like the two of them were doing it to each other, I couldn't hear what it was, and they didn't respond when I tried to talk to them, but I think they can do it as well."

Thomas wasn't sure how to respond. It seemed like this girl and boy were just like Rachel and himself. Only they had come up unconscious and not yet woken.

"In other news the keepers are having a Gathering to talk about you tomorrow and I won't be able to help you much." Well that wasn't good news.

"What do you mean much?"

"You can talk to me," Rachel tapped her head, "if you need to but only if you need to. No one else needs to know we can do it."

"I won't, they'll think I'm an idiot, if I'm taking huge pauses before speaking every time."

They sat in silence for a moment, the Glade silent. Tomorrow would come, and the consequences of last night. But it wasn't here yet.