Chapter 30: Mavin

If it hadn't been for everything he had witnessed since meeting Mark, Devin would have doubted his sanity, or at least his sobriety at that moment. This hadn't been his first attempt to call upon a creature from another realm, but it had been the only successful one. 

After researching ways to summon demons and finding nothing except 'the power of prayer' as explanation for reaching gods, he had sought smaller groups from religions which were less prominent. The most helpful people came from various Pagan paths. It was refreshing for him to speak with individuals who approached their belief as absolute to them, yet completely accepting that it was subjective to others. 

Somehow being told 'this is what I believe and here are some things you could try' made it easier to feel confident in these sources, especially with the reiteration that now spiritual affairs were much more difficult with the particular path of progression humans had followed. After discussing with multiple Pagans, Devin gathered the general items he was instructed to use, including learning ancient words of power.

Most were simple- candles, salt, an article of intent- but even with the ones that weren't, such as the athame and certain herbs that several suggested, the witches seemed to all approve of altering the ritual to suit one's specific resources.

Devin, however, was not content with compromise and sought out everything exactly as originally instructed. The ritual knife took the longest, simply because of having to wait on the postal service to deliver.

He was meant to be in a place with as little technological interference as possible. Since there was no way for him to reach a natural area where he wouldn't be bothered, the man settled on removing all electronic equipment from his bedroom, unplugging everything in the apartment, and cutting off all lights before starting. 

In an uneven circle around the mattress, tall black candles represented the dark leanings of the realm while the smaller gray candles between them were meant to draw less dark, more neutral aid. In his hand, a red candlestick was lit, its flame used to bring the others to life.   A circle of salt was to contain the spirit and protect the summoner who sat outside of it while their article of intent was placed inside.

It was explained that this piece was the most intricate part of any spell. The man recalled Mark talking about simply focusing his energy and intent mentally for astral projection. Devin didn't have the luxury of natural talent or even enough time to hope to gather proper experience. Which was why on this aspect, he overcompensated on the physicality.

His goal was to be reconnected with Mark so it seemed fitting that the bed, once his lover's, now left drenched with longing tears, was the center of the ritual. After searching the home for a separate article, Devin brought out the tank top which had been loaned to him when he moved in. It was the first thing shared between them. However, staring at his own blood staining the white fabric from when McGraff had sliced his face, he thought better of it.

That item might unintentionally connect him to the killer. A demon may be no better, but with McGraff, it was absolute no good would come. Taking a few minutes to think, he returned to the living room and retrieved the box cutter from the table where he had left it.

This time, rather than use the athame to cut himself, he used the same blade that had gashed his lover's arm and sent him to the hospital where they met. Sitting with crossed legs, letting his blood extinguish the crimson candle now glued to the floor in a pool of its own wax, Devin did his best not to prepare for failure.

When the circle suddenly filled with a grey light that slowly faded around the silhouette of a figure, the man jumped to his feet, backpedaling in fright. The creature's wings began extending before the last of the energy dissipated, their edges reaching out to fill the length of the room they were in. But as the demon became clearer, Devin realized it was no manner of beast at all.