Chapter 1.1 - The Hidden Folder

10.00AM — I'm sitting in the Big Boss's luxury office, shivering ...

Today, Big Boss mood is very unusual, holding his shining bald head, a pair of squinted small eyes are staring at me sharply, pondering.

I remember, the last time the friendly and gentle Big Boss was in such an irritable mood was when all the magazine staff giving a joint proposal said that the summer sunlight is too bright, and strongly demanded the company for shade curtains.

Thus, after struggling several times, our wise and brilliant Big Boss finally asked the Finance Department to buy inner curtain~transparent gauze.

At the end it didn't block the sunlight and for the whole summer the company was immersed in Princess pink dreamy atmosphere.

And the last last time, the printing company's Boss forcefully asked for debt payment, saying that there was a rapid increase in paper prices so the printing fees would naturally have to increase as well.

Big Boss took only two days to get the Distribution Department to find out the paper price list and then use it as solid evidence to compare with and expose the Printing Boss' "paper price" lies.

Incidentally placing pictures of the Printing Boss' and his secretary's ambiguous relationship onto the desktop as well.

Under the insidious threat of solid evidence, the Printing Boss who lost face had to coax Big Boss by giving out a good amount of free paper, and quietly left afterwards.

And for the last last last time ....

As long as it is related to money, our Big Boss will emit a distinctive pressuring aura from his whole body, and this time, I went to his office because my one year contract has expired.

During this one whole year, as an editor assistant, I have been very busy and working very diligently without any complaints,  scoring the monthly Editorial Department assessment with 90 points and above.

According to the procedure, when the contract has expired, it is the day for me to become promoted to an Editor.

Editorial Department, Administration Department, Human Resources Department...... every Department, my promotion request report has successfully passed the review, until the last hurdle—Big Boss.

I subconsciously pulled my collar, and had a premonition that this hurdle is not easy to handle, with a possibility of having a complete defeat.

Because with the Editor promotion, my salary will be increased by 20% , welfare, treatment, etc ...will also be upgraded, and as long as money matters are involved, Big Boss will always become very sensitive.

After a long time, Big Boss finally gave up on staring at me with a gaze full of killing intent, faking the standard bureaucratic manner, "Xiao Bai ah ... this whole year, do you feel satisfied with your own work ?"

With resentment I stared at Big Boss, ah...really evil. If I'm not satisfied, don't even have to talk about this promotion but if I'm satisfied, it would make this Young Lady too conceited.

So, with a smile, I tried to avoid the question and said, "I have been in this company even before I graduated, this one whole year I have learnt a lot of things in the Editorial Department , with Section Chief Li and other Editors being dedicated in guiding  and cultivating me. Although there are some aspects that I am still lacking but fortunately everyone's evaluation on me is not bad, making me have more confidence."

After quickly saying this passage out, I gave out a long sigh , Fu .. Fu .. !! Saying it this way,  will not only affirm my own ability but I also won't look like very conceited, and now I would like to see how Big Boss will rebutt.

Unexpectedly, Big Boss instantaneously smirked, I don't even have the time to mutter No Good..., he had already said: "So as you said, Xiao Bao, you still have a lot of things to learn ?"

"I ——"

"I remember when you handed in the article for the last issue, unexpectedly there were three mistakes made."

"I ——"

"Xiao Bai ah.. Xiao Bai, be attentive! What is attentive, do you know? This is a must have foundation for magazines. If a National Leader or Customer's name was printed wrongly, who will be responsible for it?

"I ——"

"Ai— I remember not long ago, in the company there was a girl similar to you working as an Editor assistant, because of a wrongly written 'Hubei' into 'Hunan', had caused the customer to refuse to pay for the advertising cost, and for nothing harmed the company to lose 100 thousand ah... 100 thousand!"

I can't even say out "I ——" anymore.

Big Boss has always had the ability of making people speechless.

"Youngsters like you guys, are too impulsive, too reckless, when doing things must be down to earth, must be attentive, you know or not? The biggest drawback is that you guys are too complacent."

This time, I burst into tears. Boss, why don't you allow people to finish speaking? Actually, what I really wanted to say is even if I can't get my salary increment, can't I at least get my career promotion instead, this will also be counted as the best affirmation towards my work this whole year!

Big Boss started rambling nonstop, from spelling errors to grammar mistakes, then article concepts and various departments' situations. At the end, a conversation that started with promotion as the original topic has become an ideology training lesson.

I'm left with no tears to shed.

"Xiao Bai, have you understood?"

I nodded.

"En," Big Boss nodded in satisfaction with eyes showing appreciation, "since it's like that,  go ahead to work. Two o'clock in the afternoon we'll have a meeting."

I got up and walked out of the office, at this moment I suddenly realised the crux question: what am I doing by coming here?

I'm totally being ignored by Big Boss.

This event kept on bothering me until afternoon the meeting time, when I made the biggest mistake in my life. And the severity of this mistake, is only a level below the violence I had when I was a small child, taking a metal car toy and smashing it onto my cousin's forehead.